1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M1 weirdness - try this with your camera!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Growltiger, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I was checking for stuck pixels and dirt on the sensor. I took some photos of a plain ceiling. ISO 200, It was fairly dark so f/6.3, 0.625 secs. The 12-40 lens was set to 40mm, manual focus and the focus was set as close as possible to make the image as blurred as possible.

Here is the photo - nothing special to see YET.

EM1ceiling.

Now using any image processing program that does levels, set the black to the bottom of the histogram and the white to the top of the histogram, then drag the middle point to just below the white - and you get this...

EM1weird.

These shapes are created within the camera, they are not there in reality.

I could understand regular shapes that correspond to sensor design, but I cannot explain these curves. Any ideas?

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I suspect it's something to do with the corrections that are embedded in all MFT files (ie. distortion, fall-off etc...).

I had something similar with weird purple rings on my GR files when I pushed them too far in post-processing. Turns out it was vignetting correction automatically applied to jpeg and RAW files.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Very cool : print it big = Art!

• Like Like x 1
  4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    This would be a really serious issue if I ever took out of focus pictures of a wall then butchered them in photoshop, however I've never seen it appear when pushing files 5 stops (studio flash didn't fire) just to see what detail was craptured.

It does look like the distortion correction, sort of cool though.