1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M1 wake up time.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Lee O'D, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Lee O'D

Lee O'D Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Hi Guys, forgive me if this has been covered before, but does anyone know if it's possible to make the camera wake up a bit quicker? It seems very slow to wake up after pressing the shutter release, slow enough to miss a shot I'd say. I know I could set it to stay on longer but battery life is not the best as we know!

Thanks, Lee.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Can you time it?

Mine seems quick enough.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Are you saying you let the camera go to sleep and then wake it up by pressing the shutter release?
    I'm not surprised it is a bit slow, how would you feel if you were woken in the morning by a sharp poke and expected to jump right up and take a photo?
    Better to turn off the camera and turn it on when you are going to take a photo.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    You think the OMD are bad at waking up. Try waking a Fuji X-E1 in the same situation.....whole parades can go by before it is ready to fire off a shot. That is if you get it to wake the first time you press the shutter release. :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The E-M1 turns on so quickly that I just shut it off if I am not shooting. I prefer to just turn it on when needed, or leave it on if I am shooting frequently. An option to consider.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Have you tried pressing the shutter to wake it before raising it to eye level?
    That's what I do.

Barry

Sent from my Note3

• Like Like x 2
  7. "Wake time" and "turn on time" is still lacking on live view cameras compared to the near instantaneous response of DSLRs. The other benefit DSLRs have is that you can frame and compose through the OVF when the camera isn't active, and then wake the camera, autofocus, and release the shutter with the one press of the shutter button. When live view cameras have gone to sleep, some require a half-press of the shutter button to wake it and activate the screen, and then a second press to start AF and take an image.

The E-M1 will wake, AF, and release the shutter with the same single press of the shutter button, but of course that means that you are composing blind before the screen or viewfinder are activated. It's response time is very close to my old Samsung NX100 which is unexpectedly the fastest live view camera that I have used in terms of time-to-shoot from sleep, and also therefore faster than the two generations of cameras that have replaced it.

• Like Like x 1