1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M1 Size Comparisons

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by meyerweb, Sep 6, 2013.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Originally found on 43 rumors:

Compared to GH3:

ThePhotoSoup: EM1 vs GH3 - Size

To EM-5:

E-M1 size comparison roundup. | 43 Rumors

I think that comparison to the GH3 is very slightly off, looking at the lens mount area. But even so, if it's close the EM-1 looks to be even bigger than the GH3. That doesn't bother me, but given all the whining from Oly users that the GH3 was "too big for m43," I can't wait to see their reaction to this.

2. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Either they'll stay true to their concerns and not buy the EM-1, or they'll suddenly proclaim their hands have grown in the interim, justifying the larger size ; )

3. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Interesting times ahead :wink:

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The folks who complained about the size of the GH3 probably won't buy it, assuming this size comparison is accurate. OTOH, if you look there are lots of EM5 owners who also complained about that camera being small, especially the grip. They should be pleased. It's the price not the size that cuts me out of this loop.

5. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I think the comparison with E-M5/12-35 is really extremely interesting. It makes me feel that the 12-40 is a little larger and thus a little less inspiring to buy. BUT... it might be a whole bit better, who knows. In a week we'll know... :)

6. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    It looks pretty close to the 14-54. The real difference will be hood size (the 12mm hoods are always shallower). This is making me less interested too.

But, the PDAF if it works well, is going to be hard to pass up.

7. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I find this quite amusing... I did some film photography when I was younger and used rangefinders. When I decided to get back to photography I got into :43: because I was looking for small RF style bodies that didn't scream DSLR, and, well, were not in the Leica price range. So I started off with an E-P2. Then I got the E-M5 and I hardly ever took the horizontal grip off - that was one step towards DSLR style. Now I'm pretty sure I will go for the E-M1 and happily accept the bigger size and even more DSLR stylistics like a right hypocrit :)

I do hope the E-P7 has a built-in EVF... Oh wait, that's the GX7 :]

8. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I really wish they had gone with a removable grip. I use the grip with the larger lenses but take it off when travelling.

9. DWhite

DWhite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    David
    I take no credit (nor blame) for the original photos as they were posted by others. BUT, I was interested in seeing how the new Oly 12-40 would compare in size to the P12-35 so I did this quick Photoshop mockup that should be scaled correctly on a E-M5 (the red outline is the E-M5 + Pana 12-35).

I love the sharpness of the P-35 but find the 35mm maximum length just a bit limiting. I can still return the P12-35 so I'm in a real quandary on what to do. I thought that others may be facing similar decisions so I decided to post this.

The next week will be very interesting!

Attached Files:

10. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    This is very interesting. It looks like the 12-40 is in between the 12-35 and the 14-54ii. It had better be a very sharp lens to be a good alternative.

9197058622_72e806895d_o.
    12-35+14-54+OM-D by pelicaneng, on Flickr

Attached Files:

11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    E-M1 - $1500
    12-40 - $999

and the hood size is a determining factor????

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Hey, Olympus hoods can be really pricey.

13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    The Photosoup EM1/GH3 comparison is simply wrong.

You can match up mounts and you get this...

EM1.

Note the EM1 is a wee bit wider on one side and the GH3 quite a bit wider on the other.

You can also determine its width by measuring the mount.

EM-5 with lugs 122mm
    EM-1 with lugs 129mm
    GH-3 with lugs 133mm

The GH-3 is quite a bit bigger than the EM-1

Attached Files:

• EM1.
      EM1.jpg
      File size:
      79 KB
      Views:
  14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    My thoughts exactly. But I suppose the additional real-estate was too attractive for the designers, and you can't very well have the shutter-release button on the removable part of the camera...

15. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    What I was driving at was the 12-40 and 14-54 look pretty close in size. The 12-40 will have a shallower hood otherwise it will vignette at 12. That hood will make the package seem somewhat smaller. As I noted the 12-40 is going to have to be a great lens to compete against the existing 4/3 options given its size.

16. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I hope this camera does well for Olympus. But that's too big for my taste now. The largest camera I want next is a E-P5/GX7 or an OMD.

I sold off my D300 and lenses for smaller and lighter and this camera is too big for my needs. At that time I even thought about a D5200 to complement my D300 and lenses but decided to pass and get M4/3 instead. :smile:

17. This looks more correct to me given that the pics and video shown of the E-M1 so far make it appear not a whole lot bigger in LWH to the E-M5. Regardless, I am just genuinely more interested in the E-M1 than the GH3.

18. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Has anyone heard whether or not the EM-1 will take the bottom half of the HLD-6 battery grip? If so, that would make 'upgrading' so much nicer! I love having the grip on my EM-5. One less thing to buy for a new body would be sweet!

19. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    E-M1 will use a new grip called HLD-7.

20. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Well that sucks. I was hoping that if I decided to upgrade, I could use my HLD-6 bottom part. Would have been easier for Oly, too. Less changes would mean more efficient production. Hell, they could have just kept cranking out HLD-6s.