OM-D E-M1 Mk II with Yongnuo YN560IV Flash

Hi all,

Still trying to figure something out, and wanted to focus on the equipment, so starting a new thread.

First, I'm fairly knowledgeable about my camera, very much not so flashes in general. On the one hand, I have the flash that came with the Mk II. I stick it on my camera, it automatically recognizes it (i.e. the flash icon is "lit" in the menu), and when I take a picture it flashes. Pretty much exactly what I would expect.

With the Yongnuo, I put it on the hot shoe, turn it on, when I turn on the camera, it does NOT seem to see it. And when I take a picture, it does not flash. Of course pressing the button on the flash lights it off, and when I put it on my Canon it works as expected.

I note with the Olympus flash it uses the four small pins below the middle one, the Yongnuo just uses the big one in the middle.

To my limited knowledge, I know that the Yongnuo is a "manual" flash meaning I set all the flash parameters on the flash itself. My guess since the Olympus uses the four pins, it's "TTL."

So... Questions:

- Am I correct in thinking that the Yongnuo should "just work"? (By extension there is something broken with my camera?)
- Any specific settings I should try to get it working? (I've tried a bunch of things over the last couple months, but always willing to try more!)
- If my camera is broken for manual, could I get say the Godox TT-685O or the Olympus 600R and it would work since the one that came with the camera did?

Thanks in advance. I'd really like to go further in flash photography, but I'm in Italy, and getting a hot shoe fixed seems to be a time intensive and costly investment (especially if there's nothing wrong!)

Dion

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have that flash and it should work OK.
Make sure you are not in silent mode, IE electronic shutter mode. Later EM1x models in electonic shutter will support flash but only at very low shutter speeds, so your camera should. Don't remember the shutter speed though.

The camera wont see the flash but it should fire. Set speed to 250 second and it should fire.
I use mine a lot in manual mode. F11 160 second. I use 160 so if I bump a dial as I seem to do changing F stops I dont make the shutter too fast and miss a frame.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmmm, OK. Thanks for the reply! I tried f/11 and 1/160 and I didn't see any change - it still doesn't light off. I'll try it again on my Canon to make sure nothing has changed.

Edit: Indeed it still flashes on my Canon 70D. So at this point I'm going to assume that the hot shoe is somehow defective. I also ordered a Godox so I'll know shortly if it will work with just the four smaller pins.

Has anyone repaired a hot shoe on an Olympus? I'm having difficulty finding the part, and since the camera is weather sealed, I'm thinking my trying to fix it may be a bad idea. The Olympus repair option seems to be $300+ though.

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hmmm, OK. Thanks for the reply! I tried f/11 and 1/160 and I didn't see any change - it still doesn't light off. I'll try it again on my Canon to make sure nothing has changed.

Edit: Indeed it still flashes on my Canon 70D. So at this point I'm going to assume that the hot shoe is somehow defective. I also ordered a Godox so I'll know shortly if it will work with just the four smaller pins.

Has anyone repaired a hot shoe on an Olympus? I'm having difficulty finding the part, and since the camera is weather sealed, I'm thinking my trying to fix it may be a bad idea. The Olympus repair option seems to be $300+ though.
As suggested check that the flash is in far enough. Perhaps try to measure that the centre pin is on top of the hot shoe centre pin. It can be hard to push some flashes in far enough.
Since it will be fiting in manual it is only the centre pin that will be used.

Before thinking of a hot shoe repair try another flash on your camera. Take it to a store and try one of thier olympus demo units, just say you want to chdck out how they work and want to chdck the flash menu etc

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Did you check if you are in electronic shutter/silent mode as previously suggested?

If you want to use flash in silent mode you’ll need to check the following setting:

Shooting Menu 2 —> Antishock [♦] / Silent [♥] —> Silent [♥] Mode Settings —> Flash Mode —> Allow.

Be sure to hit the ‘OK’ button after selecting ‘Allow’ or the setting won’t stick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will definitely check those settings out. I'm currently on vacation to Naples, so won't be able to try the flash for a few more days. Taking great pictures of the Med though :) I think I'll also try transferring the hot shoe frame (for lack of a better term) from my Canon 70D and see if that fixes it. I'll try the Flash Mode first though :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom