OM-D E-M1 II First impressions: Ergonomics are great.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by moonhawk, Jan 10, 2017.

1. moonhawk

moonhawk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Dave Cherry
    I just received my mark II today, and while i've barely had time to play with it, I have to say I'm very impressed with the ergonomic improvements over the Mark I.
    • The taller body makes the grip much more comfortable for someone used to larger DSLRs. On my mark I, I had to add the bottom portion of the RRS L plate to make it a comfortable fit in my hand. Maybe not for those of you who want a very small stealth street shooter, but works for me. The grip is also thicker, and subtly better shaped. Big plus.
    • The 1/2 lever and ael/afl button have been reversed, so that my thumb falls naturally on the button, for back button focussing, or whatever one might want to use that button for. On the mark I, I had to shift my grip to get my thumb over to that button. That's a big deal to me.
    • Other changes, such as the re-location of the menu and play buttons, are so far neutral. I'll have to use the camera a lot more before I pass judgement.
    • I also got the new 12-100, and the balance and weight of it seem right on to me. It seems to be a perfect travel, rugged use, one body/one lens/no tripod combo. I hope to be able to get the camera set up and do some shooting soon, but I'm in the middle of some other projects (selling off old gear to pay for the new) so it might be a couple days. But, so far, I'm extremely pleased. Hope this info is of some use to somebody.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Glad you like it Dave.
    I agree about the placement of the AFL button, made it easy enough for me to learn and use, em1.1 just felt wrong.
    After 3 and a bit weeks and many hours i'm still undecided on the grip setup, it still feels too bulky.
    I have my mk1 and mk2 both with battery grips and pulled the mk1 out today to grab some photo's of the mrs with Sam Groth (Tennis) as it had the short zoom on it and it still felt "just right" though a little tiny now....

3. moonhawk

Feb 12, 2016
    Dave Cherry
    Thanks for your comments. I didn't like the battery grip on the mk1--made it way too big. Kind of killed the whole point of m43 for me, but to each his own. I found the RRS plate made it just about right. I'll be interested to see how I like the one for trhe mk2, but it won't be available for awhile, so I'm glad to be happy with the mk2 as is.

I'll probably sell the mk1, the grip, and the RRS plate. If I want a second body at some point, it'll be another mk2.. Assuming, of course, I'm as pleased with the performance improvements as I am with ergonomics. I especially hope it will
    AF better with the PL 100-400 than the mk1 does.

4. moonhawk

Feb 12, 2016
    Dave Cherry
    Another improvement I like is the new battery/charger. Clearly, the new battery will last a lot longer than the old one, but it also now has a percentage of charge remaining display next to the battery icon.
    Also, the charger now blinks, at an increasing rate as the battery gets closer to fully charged, changing color from orange to green and a steady glow when the charge is complete. Good job, Olympus!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Dave, I own two E-M1's, both of which have the RRS base plate on them. I had a chance to handle an E-M1 II at a camera store a few weeks ago, and agree that the Mk II's grip just felt better than the original. The grip on the original always seemed a bit "narrow", and that issue is now resolved with the Mk. II. I also agree that the camera height is much better now (the original was too short, no place to put my pinky without the RRS base plate). Having said that, if/when I get a Mk. II I'll likely still buy an RRS base plate, thanks to the integrated Arca Swiss mount as well as the hand strap loop that will allow me to continue using my GS-5 grip that I currently use on my E-M1's.

It's an expensive camera, but by selling an E-M1 and E-M5 II, I can "upgrade" for only $1000 (plus tell the wife that I'm down to 2 cameras instead of 3 ;) )

6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Mine arrived today. The new grip is more comfortable and secure. It still doesn't protrude more than a lens so I see only upside, no downside. The 1/2 lever change is nice too. Still easy to access, but less likely to be bumped accidentally.

Haven't fired it up yet. A couple of things and noticed is that the flippy screen feels very tight and solid, not fragile, but somehow it makes the body feel less solid. Can't explain that. Maybe it's the plastic facing outwards when it came out of the box or that it doesn't fit as tightly against the body. Not a big deal to me, but I noticed it right away. This mk2 doesn't quite have the machined from a billet of steel feel that my mk1 does.

The one thing on this body that might be a problem with it and not a design deficit is that the front control wheel is soft and mushy. It's not as positive as the wheel on my e-m1.1. That I don't like, and I'm wondering if it's a problem with this body or is consistent with others. Thoughts anyone?

Other than that I can't wait to try it.

7. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    The difference in feel between the front and rear wheels has been discussed quite a bit with the rear dial being quite clucky which leads to the front feeling more mushy than it actually is.
    Can't say I notice it anymore after all the time I've spent with it so far

8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    It's musher than the mk1 but as long as it works...

9. moonhawk

Feb 12, 2016
    Dave Cherry
    Ian:
    Sounds like a plan. I sold off a bunch of old toys to help pay for mine. Trying to figure out what to sell if I want a second body. I could keep my mk1, but I think the changes are so significant, I'd never use it.

10. Because it's magnesium? :hiding:

11. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Agree about the rrs plate...but I still pre-ordered mine for the mark2, since I like the anchor points on the base edge and I still use my tripod.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. moonhawk

Feb 12, 2016
    Dave Cherry

I pre-ordered one too. I hope it's a 2 piece like the last one, so it can function as a base plaste. It looks like that on the website, but they said the final design is subject to revision.

13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It's definitely a 2 piece design. That's why the price is listed as either $80 (base plate only) or $180 (including L bracket). With an L-bracket that expensive, I'm guessing it will be implemented in a similar fashion to their A7R II plate, where the L portion can be "slid" to space it off the body (the L-bracket on the E-M1 is useless when using a remote release, since it's on the left side of the body).

I much preferred the remote connection being on the ride side of the body like it was on my GH4. That way you can stand the camera on its left side via the bracket, but still use the remote release.

14. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I never used the L bracket portion with my old one...so I hope it just has the side anchors like the old one for my peak design strap tabs.

15. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Which it is on the Mark II. For the E-M1 you just needed to find a cable that had a 90 degree connection - not easy to find but they do (or did) exist.

Thanks @DoofClenas for posting about your pre-order. I had not realized they had it listed already.

16. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Thanks for that Clint! I hadn't realized that, but it was a major oversight with the E-M1, because it made it impossible to shoot in portrait orientation when on a tripod if you were using a panorama base (I realize that this is a very specific set of conditions, but it affects me so that's why I'm happy about it). IMO, the App isn't ideal for anything more than the casual family snapshot where you want to be in it, or starting a movie recording from a distance. It's too limited in terms of the settings that can be modified.

Regarding the new cable release, I wonder if my existing Panasonic shutter release cable will work? It was a 2.5mm connection, has the 90° bend on the connector, etc.

The more I learn about the settings of this camera, the more I'm becoming inclined to sell one of my E-M1's & E-M5 II and buy a new one (I was going to wait and pick up a used copy when they start becoming available), but Olympus has corrected a number of my small complaints I had with the original. I just need to keep telling myself that I don't need it until this summer, and that I'll be able to get a used one by then. Whether or not that works is a different story... :)

17. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    For the Mark II you do not need a 90 degree connection as with the original with an L bracket.

The connection on the Mark II is a 2.5mm connection and the cable needs to be a stereo cable for the half press focus to work.

18. Fatalit14

Fatalit14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    Porto, Portugal
    ML164605.

Mine arrived home today!

• Like Like x 7
  19. moonhawk

Feb 12, 2016
    Dave Cherry