1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M1 function 2 button

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Lee O'D, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Lee O'D

Lee O'D Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Hi Guys, not doing too well setting up this camera!

I'm setting button Fn2 to go to myset 1 which works, until I turn the camera off. When I turn the camera back on, it reverts back to the default setting. Is there something else I should be doing to save the setting? I cant see anything in the manual.

Thanks guys, any help appreciated.

2. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    I got the help from Olympus dealer to set up my E-M1 ; Fn 1 for Focus peaking n Fn 2 for zoom , both usefull for manual focusing using legacy lenses . You can assign these Fn buttons using the menu .

I bought this camera primarily for manual focusing but it's a very good camera for auto focusing action photography too .

• Like Like x 1
  3. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    You have to assign the myset to one of the control modes like art, scene, iAuto or one of the pasm modes. This will keep the myset active even after power of.

• Like Like x 2
  4. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Aftter assigning for example the Art mode to a myset,
    is it still possible to use Art mode through the menu system somehow?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lee O'D

Lee O'D Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Not sure about that, but no matter what I do I cannot get theFn2 button to save the myset 2 function. What is the use of a custom function button that cant be used!

6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You can't make a button save the MySet - this is confused thinking. You save the Myset using the menu. Then you associate the Myset with the button.

If you assign a Myset to a button, you press the button once to activate it, and it shows at bottom left of the viewfinder. If you press the button again, it stops being in the Myset.

Have you checked you can load the Myset from the menu and it works?
    And did you create a Myset with your normal settings?

You are far better off assigning a Myset to a control mode - i.e. wheel position.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lee O'D

Lee O'D Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Hi,
    I can load the myset from the menu and it works ok. I can then associate the myset to the Fn2 button and it works ok. Problem is when I turn the camera off then on again, it doesn't save the setting.

Surely it should save it?

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, do you have another myset assigned to the mode wheel?

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

9. Lee O'D

Lee O'D Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Hi, I have assigned myset 1 to the mode wheel, but I think it would be much easier and quicker to have it assigned to Fn2 button. It's just really annoying me that the most conveniently placed button will not do what it's supposed to.
    I wonder if I'm missing something because it lets me assign it but not save it??

10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Do you have the mode wheel in the assigned position when you turn it off/on?
    If so, I'm guessing that's overriding the button.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

11. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    If you assign it to a button, turning the camera off then on requires you to press the button again. That is intentional, and it makes sense, as you might be turning it on the next day and wouldn't be pleased to find it behaved strangely as you had previously pressed a button.

That is why assigning it to a mode wheel position makes good sense.

12. Terrier

Terrier Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Andy
    This! Setup is a matter of personal preference and my preference during my first 5 months of EM-1 ownership is to use function buttons for Mysets precisely because the camera reverts to "normal" mode when I cycle through off then on again. My normal mode is aperture priority so I'm able to quickly shift to any of 3 very different Mysets using buttons, all the while knowing that my camera will revert to aperture priority when I turn it back on.

I'm still debating on whether or not to shift my Mysets to the mode dial but, right now, I'm satisfied with the current setup. It's nice to have choice though.

13. Lee O'D

Lee O'D Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    I still don't get this. I have assigned button fn1 to ISO, and no matter what I do, it stays that way. Whether I turn the camera off / on it always stays assigned to ISO. If I am using myset 4 for example, pressing the Fn2 button should take me to myset 1, but it doesn't, it always reverts back to default. On any other camera I've used, if you assign a function to a button, it stays assigned, surely that's the whole point?

14. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    So wait, the issue is you're in myset4 and want to toggle from myset1 to myset4 and back and forth? I don't think this is possible.

I think how it works when assigned to a button is it will only toggle for a specific myset to the default (no myset) state. I dont think this is a matter of the camera simply remembering what is assigned to a custom button, it appears to be doing exactly that, its just that the programed in behavior for using mysets is to toggle from default state to myset, and a 3-way myset toggle is likely not something the engineers thought to support.

Personally I've found mysets assigned to buttons to be very little practical use. For instance, I wanted to set one up to toggle between center weighted an spot metering, so I saved a myset for that and assigned it to a button. That sort of worked, by the myset also saves the aperture, exposure comp, etc, etc when all I wanted to do was swap one setting.

Maybe it would help to know exactly what you're trying to accomplish so we can give you better advice. What is saved to your myset? What do you expect to happen when you toggle the myset?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You say you assigned Fn1 to ISO. Then you say you assigned Fn2 to Myset1. Please explain exactly where in the menus you did these two things. Also explain what you hope each button will now do.
    How did you load Myset4 - in the menu?

If Myset4 is loaded in a menu, then you press Fn2, Myset1 will be loaded and the viewfinder will say Myset1. Press it again or turn off/on and Myset 1 will no longer be loaded and the previously loaded Myset4 will return. If you have changed any settings manually after loading Myset4 (but not while Myset1 was active), it won't be Myset4, but Myset4 modified. You would need to load Mtset4 from the menu again to get the pure version of it. Does that clarify it for you?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lee O'D

Lee O'D Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    OK, here's what I did. I set the camera to my most used settings then saved it as myset one.
    I then saved 3 more mysets in the same way. Ok, say i'm in myset 2, which is manual focus and 200 iso but I want to switch quickly to myset 1. I press Fn2 button, but all it does is display the default setting, even though I assigned myset 1 to it. This is how I assigned myset 1 to Fn2 button: Set camera to what settings I want and set as myset 1. Go into menu, button functions, button Fn2, then scroll though arrows until Myset one is displayed. I then press ok to assign myset 1 to it. Come out of the menu and try pressing Fn2 button and it works, camera goes to myset one and displays it in the lower left hand side of the screen. If I then go to any of the other mysets and then press Fn2 button, it has gone back to default setting. Also if I switch the camera on / off it goes back to default. I assigned Fn1 button to ISO in the menu in exactly the same way and its stays assigned no matter what I do. Even though mysets are on the list of funtions that can be assigned to buttons, it just doesn't seem to work.

17. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I think you may not be storing the Mysets. Before you assign buttons, check out the following. Just using the menus, load each Myset in turn and check it is correct.
    Do you understand that due to poor design the word "Set" means two things in the Menu. To LOAD a Myset you select it, click OK, then SET. To STORE a Myset you select it, then right arrow, and then SET.

You say " If I then go to any of the other mysets and then press Fn2 button, it has gone back to default setting." Do you mean you loaded a different Myset using the menu, and then pressed Fn2? When you did that it displayed Myset1 in the viewfinder, and at that point Myset1 was loaded. If Myset1 wasn't correct, then you must have changed it.

I still recommend you assign Mysets to the mode wheel not to a button.

Do you understand that pressing a button only temporarily loads the Myset. This is quite different to loading it from the menu. Once the button is pressed again, or the camera turned off/on, it returns to the state it was in before pressing the button. It is likely this explains your problem.

I hope this helps. Very hard to sort it out in words like this.

• Like Like x 1
  18. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    One thing that me be causing an issue. Each myset saves all of the settings for the camera, including the button assignments. So for instance, if you have FN2 set a certain way in one myset but not in all mysets, there would be a potential to switch to the myset which doesn't have it set and thus lose the ability to toggle to it.

Honestly, I would forget setting these to buttons and set them to the program dial instead. Then it works very well and its easy to know which myset you're in with a quick glance. I've re-set most of the superfluous modes like art, scene and movie to mysets, one for fast action, one for studio lighting and another for 360 HDR panoramas.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lee O'D

Lee O'D Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Thanks very much guys for taking the time to help me out. I do understand the set / load thing and I did assign the button whilst in all the mysets. I have taken your advice and used the mode wheel for mysets, as I will never use the art / scene / movie modes.

Cheers, Lee.

www.wildgallery.co.uk