1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D E-M1 Frozen even after battery removal

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gqchynaboy, Mar 21, 2014.

1. gqchynaboy

gqchynaboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    My OM-D E-M1 is frozen, when I take the battery and put it back in, it still frozen and I can't do anything (EVP doesn't even work or the Menu) Anyone experience this before and know what to do? I'm currently on a trip right now and would love to get this resolved if i can =[

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Remove the lens and see if putting the battery back gets things going. Also try without the SD card or a different one.

3. gqchynaboy

gqchynaboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    I tried changing lenses and batteries to no avail. It's stuck on the HDR screen each time I power it on and I have to remove the battery each time to power it off.
    When I first power it on and look through the EVP I see an image then it goes black. The camera was just working before without any issues.

4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    As a last resort you could try a hard reset via the service menu (google it). You will lose all your settings though.

5. gqchynaboy

gqchynaboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Unable to do hard reset, because every time I try to go to menu it freezes

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Have you tried holding down the menu when you switch it on?

7. gqchynaboy

gqchynaboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Robbie thanks, that worked! Still wondering why this happened, had this camera for awhile and it's never done this

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. f12renderings

f12renderings Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I had my EM1 lock up few times during a shoot last week while using sequential mode L 4ps. While shooting, I can feel the camera slow down when shooting 4 frames per burst. At one point during the burst, the camera would lock up. Every time it locked up, the battery was taken out for reset. I shoot with different memory cards, namely Sandisk extreme pro 8GB, Lexar Professional 32GB, and Lexar Platinum II 32GB. I think the camera locks up more often with the Lexar Platinum II 32GB. Do you think that the memory card is causing the freeze?

-Minh

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I found that to happen with my E-3 and E-5 when using Lexar cards. I stopped using them and never had a problem since. I mainly use Sandisk cards now.

10. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Any recurrence, or was it just a one-time thing?

11. gqchynaboy

gqchynaboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Sorry just saw this, no it hasn't happened. Cross fingers because i'm living for Paris/Greece for 3 weeks soon!

12. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    Does this cause the camera to lose its settings? I have set so many settings on the E-M1 that this is a big concern for me. I wish that Olympus would offer a way to export and then import the settings, in case they ever get reset.

13. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Nope. Holding the menu button down while turning it on is also part of the procedure to check number of actuations on Olympus cameras, and doing so doesn't reset settings.

• Like Like x 1