1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D Dynamic Range vs E-P3 @ Petta Potka

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by krugorg, Feb 25, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    1.5 to 2 EV better. About on par with the GH2 or G3, it seems.

3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am cautiously optimistic now that we'll have something that performs as well as the GH2 at 200 ISO, and maybe do a bit better at higher ISOs.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amazing if true.

5. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Why is this amazing? It's simply catching up with the performance other cameras have had for a year or more. What's amazing is how far behind the 12 MP sensor in the Pens and GF cameras really is.

6. The G3 sensor may have great high ISO performance, but it doesn't rate much higher than than the 12MP sensor for DR, so it would be amazing if Olympus has it matching or even exceeding the GH sensors.

7. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Sorry, I don't consider matching a sensor design (the GH2) that's a year and a half old to be "amazing." Expected, at a minimum. Disappointing, perhaps. Amazing, not at all.

8. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Well.. considering how pleased everyone was with the EP3... the OM-D does in fact appear appear to be a significant leap forward with respect to IBIS and DR. Considering the m43s sensor's are significant smaller then the other formats and the OM-D sensor appears to have filled that gap significantly.. yes it's pretty amazing to get similar IQ, DR and ISO out of a sensor significantly smaller to its bigger competitors.

So now you can get a m43 body, excellent lens, small form factor and not be compromising DR and ISO while have amazing 5-axis IBIS, extremely fast focusing and a weather proof body. Makes for a casual and semi-pro shooter really not need to lug around a entry level dSLR. ... Basically, the OM-D could seriously be a game changer.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    As I've said a few times on this forum, if Olympus uses panaaonic sensors, it will be impossible for Olympus to leapfrog Panasonic. Also, the gh2 Senor is only in the gh2. Realistically, I doubt the will be a stop improvement 2 more years from now. Mft tech is slow to evolve. Sensor tech in general has been slow.

10. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I have an E-P3 for sale now!

11. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    This is excellent news if true!

Personally I don't get the complaints about it 'only' being the same or slightly better than the GH-2 sensor. If I wanted the best sensor out there I wouldn't even be using a m43 camera in the first place. The GH-2 and other Panasonic cameras have yet to really appeal to me for a variety of reasons, so I'm very happy about the jump from the E-P3. Lots of my indoor shots end up around ISO1600, so to have extra DR (and hopefully better noise performance) will be extremely useful for me.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    He showed a full 2-stop improvement in DR at base ISO over the E-P3. The GH2 does not offer that. Neither does any Canon APS-C camera. The Canon 5D II comes close but doesn't quite make it (based on DxOmark, which is the only rigorously performed DR testing out there).

Amongst APS-C and 35mm format cameras, only the Sony sensors boast a 2-stop or greater DR advantage over the old E-P3 sensor. If the E-M5 offers that, then either they got a Sony sensor or found someone else who stepped up their game considerably. Either of those would be amazing news to me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    +1

I would be really happy with the GH2's base ISO DR and noise.

14. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    Those (the EM-5) are the same numbers as the GX1, yes?

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    At base ISO the GX1 has ~0.5 stops more DR than the E-P3, and at ISO 200 the GX1 has ~0.3 stops more DR than the E-P3. Those linked numbers suggest that the E-M5 has 2.0 stops more DR than the E-P3, which if true would be 1.5 stops more DR than the GX1 and 0.8 stops more than the GH2.

16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'm a bit skeptical TBH. Seems like a drastic improvement. I'll take it if it's there, but I'm not getting my hopes up on that just yet.

17. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Wait, isn't this based of JPEG tests?

If so, there are lots of fake ways to raise DR in JPEG processing.

18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    +1. We seem to do this dance every 6 months or so...