OM-D: does the evf or LcD use more power?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FlyPenFly, Nov 8, 2012.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Just curious which one sucks more battery down. Intuitively it should be the LCD since it ha to give off more light but since its OLED now, it might not be true any more.
  2. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    From what i have seen the OLED never really shuts off while the camera is in use, it just goes black when the EFV is engaged.
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Interesting, so no power savings ... does black consume more power than color?

4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Olympus says that when used with the VF-2, the E-P3 has a battery of approx 90% compared to using the rear screen alone. I haven't seen anything similar regarding the E-M5 but the specs of the two components (EVF and OLED screen) on each camera are similar.

E-P3 &gt Frequently Asked Questions
  5. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    There's no backlight, so an OLED screen showing black doesn't draw much power. Sadly no idea how much it draws compared to an 'off' LCD screen, but it's less difference than you might think.
  6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If someone cares to send me their camera I can measure the power draw directly!

Does the screen have a brightness control like the older pens?
  7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012

That is really interesting, i will have to try that.

normally i leave my OLED screen completely black much the way he describes.

For what it i worth, i have managed to pull 1,300 shots with the OLED screen on.

IBIS off, AF off, no image review, mounted on my timelapse rail running one shot every 5 seconds.

9. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have an AMOLED cellphone (International Gnex) and I can tell you its as power hungry as an LCD. The only exception, as mentioned earlier, is when rendering blacks.

Many AMOLED cellphone users set their homescreen background to a solid dark color, and invert colors in their web browser so that text is white and background in black. The power savings are marginal.

The EVF with its small size would definitely draw less power. Since it unaffected by sunlight, you can even lower its brightness without ill effects
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, this has always been my experience with the VF-2 as well. I haven't noted if there's any difference yet with the lower-resolution and small-screened VF-3.

The EVF on the E-M5 is similar in spec to the VF-2, and the OLED touch screen is similar in spec to that on the E-P3... so I would imagine it should be the same deal.
  11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    "The back lcd" is NOT an LCD at all! The OLED monitor has a totally different power use than LCD. With the OLED there's no backlight.
  12. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    I know this is an old thread, but I have an update. Luckypenguins info does not apply to the EM5. I asked Oly Tech Spt and they said that the built in EVF consumes less power than the OLED display.
  13. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    On follow up, I asked what was the approximate % power remaining when the battery warning icon appeared if the warning level was set to +2, 0 and -2? Here is their answer:

"It would be roughly close %30, %20 and %10, but this is not that accurate
    as this only measures the voltage that the battery is providing."