OM-D Detached Rear Dial [pics]

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Arvin, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    I've had it for a week now and have just been putting it through regular use. While playing with it last night the rear dial just uncapped and came off. It appears to be just a meal cap that is glued to a plastic dial underneath with epoxy. It is disappointing that they would rely on such a weak construction method for a part that gets a ton of use.

I'm still deciding whether I will send it in or fix it myself with some epoxy (maybe jb weld).

Has anyone experienced this on their om-d?

2. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I would just use a tiny dab of epoxy.
  3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Looks like it's designed to be serviced since there's the openings to spray in contact cleaner, so it should be easy to pop off...but it's a disappointment from a user's standpoint in terms of weather sealing design.
  4. shanghaishots

shanghaishots Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    new york/shanghai
    This happened to the mode dial on my EP3 - I just assumed the previous owner didn't take good care of it so I just superglued back on very, very carefully... It's completely fine now, but yes, was slightly disheartening to say the least.

Not saying you should necessarily do that for the OMD (granted think it'll be fine), but letting you know you aren't alone hah!
  5. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    When I look closer, the holes are actually there to initially allow the metal prongs through, then the plastic dial is rotated clockwise to lock it in place. I wish they'd rethink this though...
  6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    The cap on the rear dial of my E-M5 just came off. I am wondering if you ended up just gluing it back or if you sent it in for repair?
  7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I would *NOT* epoxy it in place. I suspect it's necessary to remove the dial in order to remove the camera top plate to perform other repairs. Should that ever be necessary, and the dial can't be removed, Olympus will probably just send the camera back as unrepairable.
  8. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
  9. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Perhaps we are beginning to see Oly's marketing strategy here. Maybe next they will bring out a 'pro' level OMD camera with more robust construction. :rolleyes:

I wish I WAS kidding. :tongue:
  10. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Just use three tiny dots of clear silicone. That way it can be removed again in the future.