1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D: Damage Code 8807

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, Jul 8, 2012.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I had the dreaded lock-up problem a couple of times with the OM-D. In both cases, it had the Oly 45mm on, and I was using the YN-560II flashlight via RC.

Yesterday I checked (via the known key combination startup method) to see my shutter count (it is a little over 2000, BTW). What I found out was that, on the "D" page, there was code 8807.

I did a reset (holding OK+Menu for 3sec, the camera asks if you want to reset), but this didn't seem to make the reported code go away.

I would like to ask all OM-D users who have experienced a lock-up to check if they have the same, or other, code in the service report page. At the moment I'm not much worried, since the camera seems to work fine in every respect and haven't experienced a lockup in any different conditions than those I mentioned. I shall contact service tommorow, since it's relatively easy to have the camera replaced in case there is something more serious. Just wanted to find what is the collective experience on this.

2. squareflips

squareflips Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    The Land of Smiles
    Were you able to find out what error code 8807 meant? I was checking out my shutter count on my epl3 and noticed that I also have this 8807 error code. Was wondering if I should be concerned and have my unit checked.

3. squareflips

May 26, 2012
    The Land of Smiles
    Oops. Just realized you posted today.

4. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    nope, I don't have anything under the D: page. I had some weird partial lockups with the 12-50mm.

5. squareflips

May 26, 2012
    The Land of Smiles
    The error code is now gone. Its now blank on page D. All I did was accidentally press 'ok' button on the D page. Though it would still be good to know what the error code stands for.

6. Drzeller

Drzeller New to Mu-43

May 20, 2012
    I guess it means "Press the OK button." :)

7. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    On dpreview forum there is a thread about this error, guessing it's a temp/humidity related error.

8. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I followed your example and, sure enough, the code dissapeared. Thanks! It remains curious why a reset doesn't get rid of it though...

IIRC, the thread on dpreview was about the E-5? No mention about what it really was either.

Anyone having a lockup, would you please check the service page? In case you don't know how to reach it, the instructions (for any Oly :43:, I think) are here:

E-PL1 shot count

9. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Anyone having a lockup, would you please check the service page? In case you don't know how to reach it, the instructions (for any Oly :43:, I think) are here:

How do you check the service code on the E-M5? :confused:

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    The instructions for the service page apply for the E-M5 too. As for what any particular error code means, this is the point of this thread, I suppose only someone with links to Olympus service dept. can answer with any level of authority.

Suffice to say that, from what I've seen in the past (not with Olympus in particular), service departments sometimes may change components, "just in case", when some particular errors occur. If the camera is under warranty, that is.

Thinking logically (because I was quite allarmed at first with the error code), I believe that it wouldn't be so easy to eliminate the error report (pressing OK) if it was for something more serious.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Could have just been a reset on that code? Might be worth checking again in a week or so to see if it has occurred again?

12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    What I think is, I'll report the issue to the store, mentioning the lockups and the error code, and if something happens again I'll check to see if an error code is reported. In that case, the camera would have to go to service.

13. peak4

peak4 Mu-43 Rookie

Lots of lockups for me, mainly with 100-300mm, but a clear "D" screen with no errors recorded.

As regards pressing the OK to clear the error message; I'm not sure that's a good idea.
    Normal punters aren't supposed to know how to get into the service mode, it's probably intended for Oly service centres only.
    OKing the error message is probably designed to clear any error codes when the camera technician decides it is appropriate, but will use any recorded codes in faulting the camera.

Say the lockups did generate an error code and you decided to return the camera under warranty; if you have deleted all the error messages, you won't have left the technician much useful information to go on when they come to try and diagnose the problem.
    Personally I'd leave all the recorded errors showing, see if they increase and return the camera for a checkup whilst it's still under warranty. (and don't let on you've been playing about in the service mode :thumbup:)

14. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    You would think a copy of what the different codes mean would have leaked out somewhere along the line.

15. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Likely the environmental seals in the camera are prob not at E-1/3/5 specs

I think those bodies (the E-1 for sure) had seal ratings of (guessing) #4 on the industrial scale of dust and moisture seal. Other camera mfgs are at #1 or #2. Has anyone experienced intermittent button actuation working, especially if they've tested the cameras previously in the rain which could indicate moisture ingress into the body?

16. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    last night i got my first P20mm lens ever. so playing with it and my OMD and being aware of the lockup thing, it didnt happened till this morning, when the camera went to sleep mode and after waking it up it totally blocked, so i took the battery out turned it back on and checked on the shutter count, but on my D page of the menu doesnt show up that 8807 code. actually it doesnt say anything on the D page....so im not sure whats up.

17. Argonath

Argonath New to Mu-43

Oct 25, 2014
    UK
    I've had my OM-D EM5 for approximately 18 months and noticed the dreaded 'freezing'. Pressing menu or the OK button to access the SCP menu does nothing. Switching the camera off/on as some have suggested, does not rectify the problem. I have discovered that switching the lock/unlock lever on my Olympus HLD-6 Battery Grip does solve the problem.
    Once i learned how to access the 'hidden menu' of the camera, I saw the hexadecimal error code on the D page to be; 3B83.

Anyone else encountered the same hexadecimal error code, and if so, does your EM5 freeze?

18. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What happens when using the E-M5 without the HLD-6?

19. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    I am sure a full reset does not not wipe out the error codes on purpose.. so you wouldn't wipe it it if service needed it, first thing people try is a reset when having trouble and if that did not get camera working and you had to send in for service then service center would have no where to start.. So I think thats part of firmware not to reset error codes, and thats a good thing