OM-D coming my way.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ryanlogic, Jun 16, 2012.

1. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Adter having this discussion:

I went against the majority of advice given to me and bought a black OM-D.

Since a bunch of people there probably hate me for disregarding their advice, I came here!

...I'm still in shock, I've never spent that much money on anything but a car before. God willing it was a good decision.

I'm going to dedicate myself to be the best photographer I can. It's not going to leave my side.
  2. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I'm just wondering if my class 6 8gb SD card will be enough to get me started.

Probably not if I want to do much video.

Any SD card suggestions?
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I feel the same way about the OM-D. Mine's supposed to show up next week (or maybe two of them due to a bit of a mixup...) so we'll see. I'm not so concerned with IQ, but there are other elements (IBIS+VF body, weather sealing) that really put me over the edge for the camera. The GH2 is a wonderful camera, but I miss IBIS and some recent events mean that my camera is guaranteed to get wet in the course of work and I don't feel like gambling my GH2 on that.

As for cards, just get a SanDisk Extreme (not Ultra) at any speed. They're not dramatically more expensive than other cards these days, and I don't see a point in spending $1k on a camera and then saving $10 on a second rate card. I've found that the difference between the bottom 20 MB/s and the top 95 MB/s Extreme cards is not dramatic in actual shooting use.
  4. Manila Man

Manila Man Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2011
    I also never spent this much money on a camera. When the E-M5 arrived a month ago, it never left my side. It's good value compared to a hopped up PEN camera. The low light performance and IBIS are indispensable. Now when I get bad photos I know it is my fault.

Got this from Seller was jasoncui2.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I know what you mean...I swore I'd never buy an m43 camera, and now I own TWO EM5s! It's that good a camera.
  6. Manila Man

Manila Man Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2011
    Why do you need 2 E-M5s?
  7. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    i think it's great you went against what the majority voted.

ultimately, like any single photo, it's really your preference, opinion and observation versus everyone else's. if you're not sure about 'your' own preference, i'd say there's a bit of a small issue there. you should be sure of what you want and don't want.. but that's just my opinion of course. :p

i think you'll really enjoy the em5. i played with it at bhphotos few times and each time i fell in love with it a lot more. in a few months i'll be picking one up - for now i'm learning the m43 ropes with my ep3.
  8. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I don't take advice lightly, but at the end of the day....its just advice.

I had a gut feeling about the OM-D and if I can get over the fact that I spent so much, I think it should prove to be the best decision. It should be worth noting that I experience similar anxiety before buying expensive cereal and organic eggs at the grocery store... But after I bring em home, I eat them happily.

I just fish for any glaring issues or shortcoming that I might overlook before purchasing something this big. I can't help but feel like some people on the forum might be a little annoyed by my willingness to spend so much for top of the line equipment as a novice. I really do intend to utilize the features that made it so expensive... Specifically the weather-sealing. I know I'm a total noob, and some people may not feel like I deserve this equipment... but I will do my best to grow into it as quickly as possible.

I lead a very minimalistic lifestyle and this was the biggest purchase I've made in years. My possessions literally consist of a computer, cell phone, some clothes, a watch, books, a wok, a saucepan, two plates, a bowl, silverware, a knife and now this camera.

I can literally pack everything I own into two rubbermade tubs. And I would be happy to leave one behind if I had too.

I definitely do my own thing.
  9. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    If it makes you feel any better I could lose nearly anything I have except my camera and be okay. I know that you made the right decision. You have an opportunity to vindicate yourself by learning everything needed to take wonderful photos.

I KNOW you didn't make a bad decision, noob or not - unless it just goes on the shelf with the other 8 items you own :)
  10. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

U Did Welll Kid

The e-m5 was the last bit of the puzzle for me. Sold both my e-pl2's and a ton of other gear to fund the purchase. I feel with the e-m5 the m4/3 system has arrived. With the e-m5 and my listed lenses (with the exception of the 75mm) I think these will last me the rest of my life. I've had the e-m5 for two weeks now and I'm completely satisfied.
  11. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
  12. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I'd like to try living out of a backpack for a while. Gotta finish college and make some money first though.
  13. Jimbo3rd

Jimbo3rd Photog GoGo

Mar 10, 2011
    Central Florida/Disney area
    Jim Sullivan
    That is one beautiful looking camera case, surprised no one has commented on it yet. Where did you find that and is the bottom totally solid, no battery opening?
  14. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    You should be fine with the class 6 card. Even with the video.
  15. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Well, I already ordered a 16gb class 10 card. This way I can have both cameras in the bag and not worry about switching the memory card... I don't even think that would work because my Sony camera writes its own directories and Im sure the Olympus does too. I'm not positive that a card would play nice between two cameras without formatting each time.

Either way, it's good to know just in case I go on vacation and want to use my class 6 as a backup. Thanks!
  16. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Congratulations on the new camera! You will enjoy it and it will be a camera that you can be satisfied with for many years to come. There will probably be a steep learning curve, that might be frustrating at first . . . mainly due to the menu system and the myriad of options for setting the camera up but once you get it set up to your liking you will really be glad you got this camera!
  17. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I know that I have had no issues using the same card in my panny or olympus cameras one after the other. I don't think anyone on here will hate on you for saving up and buying something you are passionate about. Even if they do shrug it off there are plenty of great people hear who will support you. This is a great forum and except for the minor east coast west bs everything is great. The em-5 has sort of been the culmination of my reawakening of photography as a passion. I don't feel constrained by the camera anymore. I love my GH1 but I plan to sell it and won't look back. I am a gear whore but I feel that with maybe three lens purchases my kit will be complete for the moment. I want the new panny fast zooms and the panny 100-300. I just need to find the right bag, which I think I have. It is however very expensive.
  18. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I'm more interested in the primes at the moment.... I keep eyeballing the 12, 45, and 75mm trio.... At this point, dreams are free.

As a hobby, I enjoy street photography and portraits best. I like taking pictures of street vendors and pedestrians. I volunteer a lot so it will be nice to document some of the stuff we do out on the streets. But what I really bought the camera for was banquets and campus events, so I needed a bit more versatility hence the kit lens over a single prime.

I will see how this upcoming semester goes finance-wise.... If all is well in the cosmos, I will evaluate the bulk of what I've been doing and choose a prime. If my wallet allows, I'd probably prefer the 75mm for portraits and crazy bokeh.

I don't see myself needing a larger zoom lens for much. But who knows, I might fall in love with wildlife photography... But the sociologist in me thinks that I probably won't.
  19. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I hate waiting for packages. I can't think of anything else.
  20. Pinoymaker

Pinoymaker New to Mu-43

Jun 12, 2012
    If you really want a portrait lens and short on cash, I suggest getting an old legacy 50mm from other manufacturer and convert them to M4/3. The focus will be manual, but the camera should still be able to expose properly. This is what I did on my EP2. Its hard to use in indoor events, but outdoor shooting in good light is manageable @ f8. On the downside, getting the nice bokeh is pretty much limited to portraits, or any other type of shooting that gives you enough time to focus.