OM-D Camera Bag

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by thisisanton, May 15, 2012.

1. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was looking for a small camera bag for my Olympus OM-D. I'll be traveling and I want something small that I can fit into my backpack. A bag that would hold the body w/ 12mm lens that has some padding for protection. Or a bag that would bit the body and an extra lens.

Does anyone have suggestions of any type of bag?
  2. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    Lowepro Streamline 100 might be it. I saw it in the store and it's very compact.
    It's probably fine but I would try it first in case it's to narrow for OM-D.
  3. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    My favorite bag when I'm traveling light is the the LowePro Exchange Messenger. It's the perfect size for an M43 camera, a couple of lenses, and a few accessories. It has the added attributes of being inexpensive, folds nearly flat when it's empty (so it packs easily), and it's nondescript when slung over a shoulder. Lowepro | Exchange Messengerâ„¢
  4. DaveL

DaveL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I have a padded insert that I use in a messenger bag when I want to carry multiple lenses+ mini tripod+ filters etc and not advertise "expensive camera equipment"
    If you just want a small bag for one camera and an extra lens and some goodies- cell phone etc check out
    Lowepro - Event Messenger
  5. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    Think Tank

Might look at Think Tank speed Changer. I have two earlier versions than the current one, but very similar. On recent extended trip packed EPL-2 and 3 lenses, batt's, etc. in one and Nikon V1 system in the other. Easily carried on a belt, add a strap for over/shoulder, easily packed into a backpack, etc.
  6. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I've been using this for my GF1. It can carry the body, three lenses (9-18, 45mm and 20mm), spare batteries, filters... all while leaving a third of the interior space completely free. Which could be used to carry a small flash (I own a Vivtar 285hv, which can be carried in the bag, but only with two lenses and the GF1, plus it's a bit cumbersome), but I currently use it to carry this old m43 telelphoto lens (and adapter).

It's a bit scary carrying all that about in such a small bag tbh- that's a grand's worth of stuff, easy. Even though I can carry everything around with me at once, I try not to.
  7. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    If you are looking for a padded bag to put into another bag have you considered the Crumpler Haven? Crumpler Haven
  8. Couple options.

When traveling light I use the Domke F5XB. Pack the GF-1, LVF-1, 20mm, 14-45mm, 45-200mm plus lenspen, small cleaning cloth, grey card, couple spare batteries and aftermarket compact charger. Takes up less than 1/2 the space of my personal carry-on item (Timbuk2 small messenger bag).

Use a Crumpler 2mdh for when just packing a single lens on the GF-1 or G2. OM-D looks to be similar in size to the G2 or GF-1. This bag allows for carrying body with any of my lens. 1mdh would be plenty big if just packing the 12mm.
  9. rapsy125

rapsy125 Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2012
    A Domke F-803 is a good camera bag. It's the bag I use for my GF1 & EP2, plus accessories.
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I second this suggestion. I heard this bag mentioned on here before but didn't think much of it until I saw it in person. I think you'll like it. :)
  11. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. Crumpler Haven might a a good choice for my needs. I like the fact that I can put it in my backpack when traveling.
  12. Carol Stee

Carol Stee Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2010
  13. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I was going to suggest that, too. Think Tank has a few really small packs of varying sizes. There's the Speed Changer, the Chimp Cage, the Trim Changer, and one more I forget.

I could fit my old Oly E-410 with a 40-150 mounted and a 14-42 into my Chimp Cage without them rubbing each other. The EM5 without the HLD-6 is a bit smaller than the E-410 so that should work. It has a shoulder strap and belt attachment points, and web pockets on the front that could store a filter or an SD card (but not much else. It even comes with a rain pouch.

If you want the smallest possible bag, you really can't get much smaller than this. To illustrate, the Chimp Cage was originally designed to hold a 1D body... just the body. The Speed Changer is a little bigger, the Trim Changer a little smaller.
  14. Bones13

Bones13 New to Mu-43

May 31, 2012
    I saw this bag in the camera store, and put my brand new OM-D in there. The EVF bump made it too tall to fit in sideways. You might fit it in with a pancake lens, or body only. My GF-1 fits in fine.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    For my OM-D I'm primarily using the quality-camera-insert combined with versatile outer bag school of thought.

My equipment is an OM-D EM-5 w/ 12-50mm lens plus legacy primes: CZ C/Y mount 50/1.4 and Hexanons 28/2.8, 50/1.7, & 135/3.2. I often take along a Ricoh GRDII P&S.

My larger insert bag is a Clik Elite Camera Capsule. It's extremely well made, and offers plenty of protection from bumps, etc. It does not have much rigidness to it, though, so it will get somewhat bulgy if you stuff too much into it. It fits nicely into the bottom of a rolling carry-on, in my other messenger-style bags, or across the top of my largest hiking backpack. It will not fit horizontally across my smaller mountaineering or climbing packs, though.

<a href=";current=P6020500.jpg" target="_blank">" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a> <a href=";current=R9300451.jpg" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a>

With a few lenses inside (obviously usually would be padded from collision and various other air dusters, etc. stuffed in between):
    <a href=";current=P6020499.jpg" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a>

My most-used outer bag is a [URL=",default,pd.html"]Mountain Hardwear Hilo[/URL] waterproof messenger bag. I use it most days for work but can take out my laptop and books and the insert fits in like a glove. One really nice thing is that it has a strap across the top to pull everything close together so it doesn't flop or bounce.
    <a href=";current=P6020508.jpg" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a>

<a href=";current=R9300453.jpg" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a> <a href=";current=R9300454.jpg" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a> <a href=";current=R9300455.jpg" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a>

My other often used bag is a [URL=""]Belstaff Colonial[/URL] (don't worry, I didn't pay that much for it!). Even though the styling is a bit too hipster-ish for me, it looks a little more nondescript than the messenger, and is made really well. It has leather closure straps and leather corners on the bottom.
    <a href=";current=P6020502.jpg" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a> <a href=";current=P6020504.jpg" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a>

<a href=";current=R9300460.jpg" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a> <a href=";current=R9300459.jpg" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a>

Lastly, I have a smaller insert bag: Lowepro Street and Field Utility Bag, for use in smaller packpacks or to attach to my chest harness while hiking. It works well for the body w/ lens + extra lens, but won't hold much more than that.
    <a href=";current=P6020496.jpg" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a> <a href=";current=P6020498.jpg" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt="Photobucket" ></a>
  16. NLowell

NLowell Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    I purchased this APE case a few weeks ago and am really liking it. I can fit my EM5 with grip and 12-50 kit lens installed along with 300r flash, Oly45, Pan14, and room for one more pancake. I keep my charger and cards in the front pouch.

Not bad for the price and I like the messenger style...very comfortable. Build is lightweight but feels sturdy and strong. Not a huge amount of padding, but enough.

Stock images:

Amazon Link
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Kevmaughan

Kevmaughan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    I've been using the Billingham Hadley Small. It fits most of what I need for an outing. It is a pretty small bag and easy to carry. Quality is top notch with waterproof canvas and very squishy padding inside so that everything stays safe. Here is a list of everything I carry in the bag:

In the main compartment:
    OM-D E-M5 with horizontal grip attached and PL 25mm mounted (no hood)
    FL300 flash in pouch
    Oly 9-18mm with hood attached
    Oly 12-50mm with hood attached
    Oly 45mm with hood attached
    Oly 12mm with hood attached but reversed
    Optech QR wrist strap and neck strap

In the two front pockets (both are have the expansion snaps closed so the bag doesn't get too thick) lots more room if you want to unsnap the pockets:
    Three E-M5 spare batteries
    SD card in case
    portable tripod mount
    mini lens pen
    37mm ND filter
    52mm CPL
    4-filter pouch with various 46mm filters

I think that is all. The 12-50mm is easily interchangable with the Oly 40-150mm. Oh and if you want, an ipad 3 with case will fit behind the insert.

Here's the crappy snapshots of what this bad boy holds.

18. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I second Kev on the Hadley small. I have fewer lenses (9-18, 40-150 and Sigma 30 with room for 1, maybe 2 more), but I have an X100 in as well.

The bag is very light (mine is the Fibre-Nite, I think it's called) and comfortable. Remember to get the SP40 shoulder pad.
  19. Kevmaughan

Kevmaughan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    I don't have the shoulder pad on mine. I thought about buying it, but many bags come with a shoulder pad that is very thick or bulky. How's the Billingham pad? Does it have grippy stuff on the contact side of the pad?