OM-D came on by itself with power switch OFF

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twalker294, Oct 2, 2012.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I just happened to glance at my camera that was sitting on my desk and noticed that the rear LCD was on but the power switch was turned off. I grabbed my iPhone so I could video exactly what happened:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xfQ1KD49rI"]Youtube[/ame]

If you don't want to spend a minute and 9 seconds watching it, the long and short of it is that the power switch had no effect and I had to remove the battery to turn it off.

More and more odd problems are cropping up on the OM-D and I'm beginning to wonder if selling all my Canon gear was a BIG mistake...

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks for posting. What lens was attached, and what firmware are you on?

3. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Panasonic 45-175, firmware 1.2 (I haven't updated it -- 1.2 came on the camera.)

4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I'd try updating it to the latest firmware. Probably won't solve the problem, but it might

5. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    I thought about that but I'm kind of interested to see if it happens again. It's never happened before that I know of and I've had my camera for just over a month.

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have not yet had to pull the battery on my E-M5 (on v1.2), but I have also not used that Panasonic zoom (have extensively used the P20 and PL45 on the OM-D, though).

I did have to pull the battery on my Pentax K-01 a couple times to bring it out of a lockup. Not a huge deal for me, though, as it was so infrequent and fairly easily remedied.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just like in "I, Robot" it was tring to update.

8. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Having to pull the battery doesn't bother me that much. After all, it's a computer and sometimes they need to be rebooted. But the camera coming on by itself has me worried that I might go to use it one day and the battery is dead because it turned itself on. That would really annoy me...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm betting on a physical short circuit somewhere. Could be a bad trace or solder.

10. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Check the contacts on the battery and inside the battery door perhaps?

11. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    My camera goes to sleep after a short period. I realise it turned itself on but did it also go into sleep mode or did it stay on permanently.

Yes, finding flat batteries would be a hugh program.

12. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Not really sure. I don't know how long it had been on when I noticed it but it very well might have gone back to sleep if I had left it alone. I have the auto power off set for 5 minutes so it's feasible that if I noticed it shortly after it turned on, it might have turned itself off after 5 minutes.

13. Adams.rt

Adams.rt Guest

I wouldn't bemoan the loss of your Canon equipment just for a one-time glitch like this. I'm not an electronics expert so I can't even hazard a guess at what might have caused it, but I would recommend just checking it periodically and make sure to keep your receipt.

14. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    I'm hoping it's one time that's for sure. This plus the reports of people's command dials falling off, and it seems like there was another common problem that I can't recall right now, make me a little nervous. I don't expect this level of quality control from a $1000 camera...