1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D Blank Viewfinder Screen.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Joe777, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Follow up to message below I posted yesterday on 12-50mm image thread.

Happened again tonight, then cleared up. Any ideas what might be the problem ?

I hope this is not bad news, but during a car show today my OM-D started to play up.
    It was good for around 50 shots and suddenly on putting my eye to the viewfinder all I got was a bright white blank. Took my eye away and the monitor worked fine, put my eye back on the viewfinder, blank screen again monitor ok. This went on for a few times, finally turned the camera off and on again and it worked ok for one shot and then same problem returned. Turned it off and on again, same problem. Next time I shut it down and on again it worked ok for the rest of todays shots.
    What the hell is going on ? I did the 1.2 update a couple of weeks ago and until today have only taken maybe half a dozen shots since the update with no problems.

2. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Same thing happened to me so I just sent it in for repairs. Hopefully I'll get it back soon.

3. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    shizlefonizle.

Did Olympus inform you why this happened ?

4. shizlefonizle

Apr 21, 2012
    I didnt even bother to call them assuming CS personnel would be someone overseas who knew next to nothing about cameras. I sent it for repairs the next day after trying some things on my own (factory reset, removing battery for a day) since I wanted it back as soon as possible.

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The symptoms sound like the view finder is getting a bad signal from the camera. It could be a bad component on the circuit board that drives it, or a bad internal connection since it comes and goes. Definitely time for a trip to the repair shop.

6. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Follow up to message below I posted yesterday on 12-50mm image thread.

Happened again tonight, then cleared up. Any ideas what might be the problem ?

I hope this is not bad news, but during a car show today my OM-D started to play up.
    It was good for around 50 shots and suddenly on putting my eye to the viewfinder all I got was a bright white blank. Took my eye away and the monitor worked fine, put my eye back on the viewfinder, blank screen again monitor ok. This went on for a few times, finally turned the camera off and on again and it worked ok for one shot and then same problem returned. Turned it off and on again, same problem. Next time I shut it down and on again it worked ok for the rest of todays shots.
    What the hell is going on ? I did the 1.2 update a couple of weeks ago and until today have only taken maybe half a dozen shots since the update with no problems.

I just got off the phone with Olympus Support.
    Was informed their department reps have no recollection of this problem being reported before. Advised me to send it back for repair which I will do after I use it at my grand daughters wedding next week (I will take my E-PL2 as backup) Not that worried as they have hired a photographer.
    This is a real bummer after spending a few grand on the camera, grip, lenses, etc etc.
    I don't believe one ever feels fully confident in a product after it comes back from repair. I asked the rep if the problem cannot be repeated at the service dept and they are unable to diagnose it what happens, he informed be it would be sent back as unable to find issue, or something like that and if it happens again return it !!!!!!!!

It's obvious there is a problem that can raise it's ugly head anytime on any OM-D.
    I asked the rep if the 1.2 Firmware had anything to do with it, he said "no" the reason they have suspended the update is only because some owners are still having problems with the update procedure which is now under review

It's the last time I buy a new model camera until it's been on the market at least 6 months or more. I was real happy with the OM-D, now it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

7. shizlefonizle

Apr 21, 2012
    Same here. I expected less hassle when spending $1k on a camera. Mine also happened shortly after the 1.2 update.

8. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    I shot about 75 random images in the house this morning and all was ok so far.
    Did your camera quit the white screen, or did it just keep appearing shot after shot and never went away ?

Way back many Minolta 7D owners including myself had a similar problem with a black screen suddenly appearing in the viewfinder for a few shots then it would go away for a while then raise it's ugly head, then go away and back again. Minolta never did solve the problem. Minolta was the company who first came up with the eye start system. Then eventually sold all their camera knowledge to Sony.

9. shizlefonizle

Apr 21, 2012
    The white screen never went away, and mine also failed to display live view on the rear LCD shortly after (no problems with menus or looking at saved shots).

10. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    shizlefonizle.

The white screen never went away, and mine also failed to display live view on the rear LCD shortly after (no problems with menus or looking at saved shots).

Did you get the OM-D back yet, if so what caused the problem ?

11. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Could the owner of OM-D with EVF blank screen inform me their camera color please...is it black or silver? Thanks...

12. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    I don't know about the other guy on here with the total white out, but mine is black.

Please advise what this has to do with it ?

13. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If it (both the EVF ad monitor) is showing a black image rather than what the camera is pointed at, check to see if the lens is attached properly. If the lens locking pin is depressed, the view will go black. When you attach the lens DON'T hold down the lens release button because it's possible to turn the lens PAST the locking point...when this happens you can simply turn the lens in the other direction WITHOUT HOLDING THE LENS RELEASE BUTTON until the lens locks.

Note if this is happening with a third party lens/adapter(and you know the lens is fully locked in position) then it could be the hole for the locking pin is not deep enough.

14. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Mikefellh

If it (both the EVF ad monitor) is showing a black image rather than what the camera is pointed at, check to see if the lens is attached properly. If the lens locking pin is depressed, the view will go black. When you attach the lens DON'T hold down the lens release button because it's possible to turn the lens PAST the locking point...when this happens you can simply turn the lens in the other direction WITHOUT HOLDING THE LENS RELEASE BUTTON until the lens locks.

Note if this is happening with a third party lens/adapter(and you know the lens is fully locked in position) then it could be the hole for the locking pin is not deep enough.

Thanks for the response, but I don't get a EVF black screen it's white. The other poster with a similar OM-D camera problem also has the white screen. I was using is the 12-50mm kit lens, so no adaptor.

On my camera the monitor works fine. No one at Olympus knows what is going on, in fact there was not even a hint of a suggestion from them. Was informed any new reported problems with camera's have to be discussed at technical committee meetings. Even if a camera is in their service department with the same problem (the other posters camera) the customer reps will not contact service to find out if the technician has found the problem.

I was in Tech/Product Support for a major aircraft systems manufacturer for years before retiring and always went out to the shop floor to ask the service manager if the problem with an airline returned item had been found. They were always very busy, but never too busy to find out which tech was working on it and what was going on.
    Then I would get right back to the airline with the news. I know it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges but that's what customer support is all about.

Even though I told the Olympus rep they had a camera with a similar problem in their service dept, they didn't want to know. That's not customer support.

15. shizlefonizle

Apr 21, 2012
    Mine is silver if it matters...

Olympus just sent me a notice that they should be shipping it back to me on 8/9.

16. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Do you see both the EVF and the LCD as black? Do you see the icons but no image? If so, I had that happen. It seems like a bad lens contact. After I cleaned the lens contacts in the body and the lens everything worked fine and the issue did not come back.

17. shizlefonizle

Apr 21, 2012
    No he meant his OM-D is black. Both of our EVFs are all white

18. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    shizlefonizle.

Olympus just sent me a notice that they should be shipping it back to me on 8/9.

Did they inform you what they found to be the problem ?