1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D Battery saving tips?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by illdefined, May 31, 2012.

1. illdefined

illdefined New to Mu-43

May 31, 2012
    Coming from a DSLR, I'm new to having to worry about battery life, especially with the scarcity of OM-D batteries right now.

What are the best ways to conserve battery on the OM-D? I know of the obvious ones, S-AF over C-AF, IBIS off, Eye-sensor off, Eye-fi off etc. but are there any other, less obvious, energy suckers you've encountered?

- what takes more juice, the EVF or the OLED? I assume the OLED but I thought I heard OLED takes less energy than LCD so I don't know what to think.

- what Picture Mode takes the least processing? I've noticed that putting it on Picture Mode 1, i-Enhance, prevents the High FPS EVF option, so it must be taking some processing resources. which ones would take the least?

- what are the best power/sleep settings for street shooting (ie. at the ready, but not ON)? The Eye-Sensor is a complete liability as it's super sensitive and can't distinguish between an eye and my body when not in use. Would the extended Eye Cup make a difference?

Appreciate any help from anybody familiar with Olys and m4/3rds in general.

2. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I haven't had a problem with battery life so far. I've never actually had it run out of juice in a day, and I shoot a fair bit. I'm not saying it's going to go 1,000 shots of single shot shooting, but in practice I don't think you need to do much of anything special.

I shot the Pro-Am at the Memorial Tournament yesterday, and I used the E-M5 all day, for 872 shots, including quite a bit of chimping of my shots on the LCD, and it still was just starting to show a notch down on the battery. Now, I was using 9fps burst all day, so I'd shoot 10-15 shots in a row, then stop, etc...and I was using a manual focus lens, so there was no autofocus power used. But, I used pre-shot IS the whole day.

3. illdefined

illdefined New to Mu-43

May 31, 2012
    Hmm, that sounds promising, what lenses were you using? my OM-D has been crashing after sleep every time, not sure if it's the Panny lenses I have or the Eye-Fi card (turned OFF), but maybe it's drawing power in that crashed state.

4. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I have yet to go through a battery in one day.I don't turn anything off and have shot, maybe 500 frames at a time.I did buy the china 3 battery plus charger ebay deal and I'm now using them exclusively.The charger is much better and the battery life seems to be at least as good if not better than the factory one.
    The evf sensor can be cycled off if you only want to use the lcd.For street use I just use the lcd opened out so I can frame from the hip.Sometimes I use the touch shutter as well.It is very discreet that way and you can steady the cam against your stomach.
    You hold down the little switch on the right side of the evf for two or three seconds until the "auto evf switch" appears.Then just turn it off and it won't switch to evf when it touches your body.Is that what you were referring to when you said it was a liability?
    BTW, I use all the natives plus legacy. It doesn't seem to make a difference with battery charge.After the dismal battery performance of my G3, I am thrilled with the OMD.

5. Babalu

Babalu New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    E-M5 battery dead after 50-75 shots

Ive hade my E-M5 for about a week and am having issues with the battery. I've charged the (stock) battery fully about 3 times. First few times out the low battery icon started flashing after about 50 shots. I've been using the kit 12-50 and Oly 45 1.8 lens. I decided I would just keep shooting after my last charge to see actually how many shots I could get. Bad call not charging when the low battery icon appeared by me. On my last outing (today a the Kennedy Space Center in Florida) it crapped out after a few additional shots (about 60-70 total shots). Needless to say I missed a lot of great shots and of course didn't have a spare battery.

I'll call Olympus next Monday when I'm back home from my out of town trip to see about repairs/new battery.

What do youy guys think. Battery, charger or camera issue?

Keep shooting,

Bob

6. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I leave the review OFF. If I want to see the pic I'll hit the play button, but most often it's not necessary and saves juice. I stick to the viewfinder for doing what I need in the shooting process. I have 2 more Oly batteries on order and a 2nd charger to keep the charging times down. I also ordered 2 90 degree angle plugs so I don't need to use the cable, just plug in the little charger box and plug the whole lightweight box into a socket.

7. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    I know this is an old thread, but I have an update. I asked Oly Tech Spt and they said that the built in EVF consumes less power than the OLED display.

8. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    On follow up, I asked what was the approximate % power remaining when the battery warning icon appeared if the warning level was set to +2, 0 and -2? Here is their answer:

"It would be roughly close %30, %20 and %10, but this is not that accurate
    as this only measures the voltage that the battery is providing."

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Given that when the OP started this thread there was a shortage, but now they seem to be abundant, is this thread of any value any longer?