1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D Battery Options

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by rjb6893, Dec 26, 2013.

1. rjb6893

rjb6893 New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2013
    This may have been discussed in a previous thread, but I couldn't find any. New E-M5 owner looking for battery advice. Is there a third-party battery out there that lasts as long or longer than the Olympus original? If so, does it have a cordless charger smaller than the corded Olympus unit which is as large as the camera? I'm considering a change from Nikon and am spoiled by the D7000 battery life and compact charger. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Ron

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A bit of searching should find you a recent thread in third party batteries. Note that the e-M5 and E-M1 use the same packs. None I've found last longer than OEM, but all the chargers are smaller (see ebay, for example). The battery life is terrible compared to DSLRs, that's the price for continuous live view.

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Progo and Wasabi seem to have the most postive comments with Wasabi having negative feedback from some. But if you are not in the US then these may not be aviable. The wireless chargers are larger!

4. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Chicago
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    There are 'coded' batteries available for the E-M1/E-M5 now, though most still aren't. The 'wireless' (block) chagers are a bit fatter than the OEM charger, but they are smaller overall.

6. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I've been using ex-pro in the uk (amazon) for my em-5 for over a year and now for my e-pm2. I haven't seem a huge difference from the original olympus battery.

I don't think they are chipped, but I bought dual ex-pro chargers, which are modular, so I can swap the modules to charge one of each battery type, or both of the same type . The ex-pro chargers charge the original battery, although no vice-versa.