1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D battery life

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cstevens, May 12, 2013.

1. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Well I did 18 hours of street photography in London yesterday and have to admit I love the OM-D. Most was a challenge with a friend who brought his D700 and 50mm vs my PL25

A lot of burst mode for skaters and took 1260 photos, before changing to 3rd battery.

So roughly 600 shots out of each battery, does this around about right. To be fair the only thing that went against the OM- D vs the D700 as my friend took about the same amount until his first battery ran out.

Will post up images shortly once I have rested lol

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    There is a lot less LCD driving in that D700 unless your friend examines all his shots, and if you used your LCD as your viewfinder, that really eats away charge. I don't think this is unexpected (although I don't think I have taken 1200 shots in a single day).

3. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Have to admit its a record for me, but an awful lot was 9FPS to get skater and BMX series shots :)

4. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I did mis having my d700 though as focus is frankly not good enough for some things :(

5. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    sounds about right.. maybe a little more shots than usual actually.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I know exactly what you mean. The D700 is a REALLY effective workhorse. The pixel density is sorta low, but some of my best images were with that camera.

7. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    For a mirrorless, the OMD's battery life is pretty good. A lot of others might get half that. lol, from what I understand, ones like the Sigma's DP series gets about as much as a roll of film per battery.

I average about 450 per battery, but I'm also not shooting in burst mode and there are long periods when I have the camera on, but not shooting.

8. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Yeah I am quite impressed, and in fact this is the first time I have gone so long shooting, so just over 600 shots a lot on burst mode, mixture between EVF and Screen, bit of chimping I didnt think it was too bad.

I only have 3 batteries, but have quite a few of these mad marathon shoots coming up so will probably get another….my worry is always when I reach the last battery, if that is a dud, then my day is over :(

The OM-D handled things very well, the CAF was way behind the D700, however careful pre focusing and positioning I ended up not really needing it for fast skaters and bikers.

The lowlight in the tunnels was amazing, and being able to get really low meant I certainly didnt miss my D700 for that….plus the lack of weight I had to carry all day was fabulous.

9. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    so... where are some pictures?? Geeze man, talk about all that action shooting and don't show us any?

:p

10. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    I'm not sure how many I get but it's my least favorite thing about the OMD. When I'm out for a few hours I go through batteries like mad. With my canon I'd go a month without recharging and I'm shooting the same. Now I go through 2 a day on a very busy shooting day. I should turn the LCD off, but I need it often and don't have time to futz with it quickly when needed.

the worst is my star trails! Even the other night when it was only 55 out I ran out of battery after only two hours. I always make sure to use the OEM, not the extras I have.

11. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Using the LCD will eat your battery's lunch lickety split.

I'd recommend using the EVF as much as possible, as it turns off when your face isn't within an inch or two of it.