1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D battery life questions...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, May 24, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

I'm going to be buying an OM-D for travelling instead of my 5D Mark II. One of the biggest differences is going to be the battery life...my 5D2 can do 1,000 shots on a charge no problems...if I'm actually careful, that number skyrockets to close to 1,500.

So...tell me...what drains the battery on the OM-D? Does "sleep" mode drain much? (I always have my cameras set up to go to sleep after 1 minute, but I never turn them off). Will I have to turn off the camera every time I'm done shooting? Or can I just turn it off at night?

On some cameras (NEX-6) the EVF drains the battery faster than the LCD...how's the OM-D in this regard?

How close is the CIPA rating (330, I think) to real-life figures? I'm not planning on using the touch screen at all...in fact, the LCD will only be used to review images to check focus/exposure, but that's it. All composition, etc will be done via the EVF.

Thanks!

2. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The slide-show with BGM (background music) doesn't help. It's nice music though. Could listen to it for hours. Does your 5D Mark II (whatever that is) have BGM?

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I get about 300-350 images per battery, that's with some normal fussing about with the camera- if I'm just doing mostly pure photo taking on a trip then I get about 400.

I have 1 Olympus made battery, and 3 off brands. The off brands don't hold as long of charge as the Olympus, but it does a decent job, instead of 400 shots I'd get about 325-350. Also, the 3 batteries cost about $12 each vs the $50 Olympus.

I do turn my camera off instead of going into a sleep mode- it turns on fairly quickly. I pretty much don't lose any charge at all from what I can tell with the camera off or sleeping.

I do notice the EVF uses more power than the OLED screen. I wouldn't say it's too huge of a difference, but totally noticeable. Probably the reason why I get 300-350 shots with the Olympus battery- I do use the LCD to take shots, but use the EVF quite a bit more, I also review images a lot in one sitting, fiddle with setting etc. I don't use the touch settings very often on the screen, although it has it's uses.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Similar here, except during a fast action studio shoot I've managed 800 with no signs of dying.

5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thankfully the makers of the 5D Mark II (Google it, it's a rather spiffy bit of kit ;) ) didn't include such silliness in the camera. I won't be using the slide show or the BGM (however soothing it may be) ever. :D

Domo arigato, Mister Roboto! That's a lot of helpful info!! If sleep doesn't use much juice, I'll probably use that a lot...start-up time isn't an issue (from what I've read the OM-D does well in that department), but over the past 8 years of shooting DSLRs, I've gotten out of the habit of turning cameras on/off...

Yeah, I'm planning on buying an extra OEM battery as well as probably two cheap-o knock-offs to have kicking around in an emergency. I managed to score some $2 eBay batteries for my S100 and love them. They don't last nearly as long as the OEMs, but at that price I bought 5 and scattered them everywhere: backpacks, camera bags, glove compartment, etc. Better than nothing at a price close to nothing! :D

Nice! So I guess the CIPA rating is fairly close to what you two are getting on an average outing!

6. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    You'll get less life out of the OM-D because it's doing more. On a DSLR, the sensor isn't active until you shoot. The viewfinder image is from mirrors, on the OM-D it's a live digital image from the sensor, so all of that stuff is on.

The sleep mode doesn't drain much, since when the viewfinder or rear screen is off, the sensor is off. If you can use the viewfinder exclusively and not chimp a lot, you can get more images. The viewfinder will still turn off if your face isn't up to it, saving power.

You'll still want some spare batteries!

7. dancat

dancat Mu-43 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    You can find some more details about the settings and the shots numbers here: » How to tweak your Olympus OM-D E-M5 to shoot sports by Jim Huffman

I have been in a trip with the OM-D recently and I had only one 3d party spare library. Just with that and the original one I could have a full day shooting (600-800 photos).

Hope this helps you a bit ...

8. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I bought 4 extra batteries straight off the bat. You can never have too many batteries. Mmmhmm.

9. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I have managed much more than 400 shots (single shot mode, not high speed etc) from a single original battery. Things have improved greatly with the latest firmware updates, since now the IBIS starts working when you actually half-press the shutter button. I use the EVF 90% of the time but I'm not OCD about chimping. In fact, I seldom chimp since I abandoned DSLRs, since "WYSIWYG" is a so much accurate description of things with mirrorless.

A second (or third) battery in the bag doesn't take too much space and weight. Even with grip attached (double the shots) and two spare batteries, the OMD is much much less bulkier and lighter than the 5D.

10. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    What is chimping? (I did search)

11. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Constantly examining each photo after you shoot it, on the LCD.

12. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Thanks. I'd never heard it or seen it written before today. I had to search for GAS here the other week.

13. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    One thing I would warn about is leaving the camera plugged in via the usb cable to a pc when transferring pictures. Even after the transfer is finished, the camera doesn't enter sleep mode. I often forget to disconnect because the camera sits on the pc box under the desk. So next time I come to use the camera the battery is completely flat.

14. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You should do a Google Image search on chimping to get a visual idea on what people look like when they look at their shots...then you'll understand how the term chimping came to be.

15. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    [​IMG]

Case and point. lol

16. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I find this insulting to us chimps!

17. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Nothing wrong with chimping :)
    Its a great way to be able to guess appropriate manual settings in 2-3 shots.

18. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I think this is a better example! :tongue:

[​IMG]

You're kidding, right? When I shot film and had a camera where the shutter speed and aperture were marked on the dials, I'd have the settings dialed in BEFORE looking through the viewfinder and seeing what the light meter told me...not that I paid attention to the light meter anyways.

I had to laugh, every year I photograph the local fair rides at night...one time there was a guy standing next to me with a $500 light meter taking readings, meanwhile I was doing bulb shots camera using my experience and intuition on how long to hold the shutter open and getting amazing shots; the guy using his meter was getting average metered shots.

Don't get me wrong, I do own a few light meters, flash meters actually, that I use when setting up multiple strobes for a starting point, but that's all I use it for. After setting up the meter goes back into the case as I'll adjust the light up or down accordingly.

19. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Yes I am kidding lol :) was being sarcastic as it's a great way to miss 2-3 great shots :p
    Rec Review off is one of the first settings change I make when setting up a new body!

You only learn by trusting your instincts and learning from your mistakes.