OM-D battery life and 12-50 question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ketan, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Ketan

Ketan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2013
    Hi
    I am new to this forum. About to jump to OM-D. Is the battery life OK for 1 day shoot?

Also is the 12-50mm worth the money?

2. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Hi, and welcome:)

I can give you my experience on this briefly.

If you turn the screen off the e-m5 and the viewfinder to automatically turn on, and don't mess around the menus too much, a single battery will probably hold one day. I other words, get an extra battery;)

The 12-50's value has been debated extensively. I bought it because of the wide angle and weathersealing. If I want to brave the elements, now I can with a camera:) The macro was a pleasant surprise, it is quite good for an extra function. A great starting kit for the e-m5 is the 12-50 and the deadcheap (for what it does) 45mm. You can cover alot of ground with only these two:)

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I find that with pretty heavy use but using the EVF rather than the LCD and no chimping I can easily get through a day on one battery.

I bought my EM5 with the kit lens and although I later sold it and replaced it with the 12-35 (see my sig below), I never regretted using it (and I used it a lot). The IQ is not as high, and it's a little slow especially at the long end, but the range is convenient, the macro is very good and it's nice to have a weather-"sealed" lens if the weather turns unfriendly. So - it would not be my first choice but it's a reasonable value at the kit price or as a used purchase.

4. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I always carry a spare.
    I have been counting the last two sets, 572 on a charge, and 570 pictures on another battery charge. I usually switch off between shots, but don't do other things to preserve energy.

5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I have been trying to figure out what I am doing differently. I can easily get 1000 shots and not have battery issues.

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    basic rule of batteries... always carry a spare!!! I own 3 batteries for the OMD... one is always on the charger, one in the camera bag and one in the camera.

Battery life on the OMD is fine if not spectacular.. easy does 300 plus shots

12-50 is a perfectly fine kit zoom lens.. I have moved on to shooting primes but the 12-50 served me well... and I still have it

Oly 12-50 - a set on Flickr

K

7. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Wow, granted I used IS on half press pretty much all the time but I would barely get over 300 on a charge.

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

8. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry

Days I shoot a lot of frames I shoot mainly burst somewhere between 3 and 10. So maybe the af and metering take the battery power not the shutter and writing to the card. I am likely still thinking film mode. Motor drive equals resource consumption.

9. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Yeah - if you are using primarily burst, it does extend the number of shots per battery a lot. I generally get around 300 per battery (when I had the EM5) but I also like to do a lot of chimping.

As far as the 12-50, it is a good buy and well worth it if (1) you are getting it as part of a kit, (2) you are not really a pixel peeper and (3) don't plan on making huge blow ups. I really like it - still have it though I sold the EM5 - for it's versatility. But as others will acknowledge it is not the sharpest lens out there. Probably just as good as the other kit lenses - but not good enough if you are a perfectionist.

10. billybob

billybob Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Im coming from canon EOS-M, 20-30 shots with a little tweaking would drain the battery.

But battery life on OMD EM5 is excellent - even with flash. Im
    getting 200-250 on average with a lot of playing around with menus and tweaking on manual mode - on a single charge.

The kit lens, I use for casual indoor lighting movie making and macro function only. Apart from that, portraits and landscapes I find it as a poor performer hindering the camera's high quality image rendering capability.
    (i.e. Colors, sharpness, overall IQ)