1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D Battery charger cord

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DLagerstrom, May 26, 2012.

1. DLagerstrom

DLagerstrom New to Mu-43

May 26, 2012
    Hello everyone, new user, first post.

Just got my OM-D a few weeks ago. Additional camera specifically for travel. I have gotten tired of carrying my Canon with big zooms around on my back.

I figure the quality of the image is not relevant if I don't have my camera with me!

Anyway, the reason for the post. When opening the box, the only thing I was disappointed with was the battery charger with a 6 foot cable. Quite a change form the Canon charger with prongs that flip out. Not great for a travel kit.

So, I searched on e-bay and found this adapter. It has enough of a friction fit that it easily holds the charger with battery suspended from an outlet.

Find these on e-bay under the following description: USA IEC 60320-C7 receptacle to NEMA 1-15P 2 Prong Right Angle Plug Adapter

Just thought some of you might like this as well.

Cheers,
    -Dave in Minnesota

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  2. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Anotjer thing you can use is The litros adaptar test comes with the Apple laptops, it fits perfectly.

Gus

• Like Like x 1
  3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I have several of these. They work great. Problem solved.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Yeah, I saved the little adapter thing from Apple laptop when I threw it out. The laptop was worthless, but that little adapter is great. For what they charge for these cameras, they really should throw in the little adapter.

5. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Different adapters for different parts of the world. Hence the cords instead of prongs built into the charger. Or so it would seem.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Well, I understand that, but why can't they just have that little adapter instead of the long cord?

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Because there are lots of places where a cord can fit, but an adapter + charger can't.

DH

8. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the post, I'm going to look into that. I hated the long power cord lol

9. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Ordered!

10. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I know what you're saying, like the cell phone ones where you just replace the specific plug pins depending on the region (Blackberry, newer Bose QC, older Motorola?). I think those are useful when it's an AC adapter, but I prefer the cable for battery chargers. Not everyone will agree, of course.

I've forgotten my Canon battery (various cameras even) in the charger many times because it was out of sight, I haven't done that with the Panasonic one which I can place somewhere obvious since it has a cable.

I travel a lot as well, I keep different cables like these for Europe/US/UK. For other AC adapters I bring multi-plug adapters. The cables with specific plugs are always more reliable regardless of the plug location, in my experience.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I understand the point about a cord working better in some circumstances. One can buy the after market plug adapter for $.99 (at retail) ....I'm just saying when you're buying a $1,000 camera, it wouldn't kill them to give you both.

12. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Amazon carries a nice straight (not 90 degree angle) as well as the 90 degree models for $4.95. I'm probably order one of each. A nice alternative to the long cord that's for sure.

13. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    +1^ Hate the long cord. I'll be grabbing an adapter.

14. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    I much prefer a line lump to a wall wart. The very short cord that came with the E-P1 is perfect.

15. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I also got one, thanks!

16. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Robert
    Thanks, just ordered one of these.

Coming from a Pany G3, the charger was one of my only disappointments with the Oly OMD.

With the option of the cable and the wall 90deg adapter, we seem to have best of both worlds (if still not quite as compact as the swivel plug on Pany/Canon).

17. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Would someone be so kind as to post a link to one of the 90 degree adapters? Thanks!

Just a hobbyist.

18. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    • Like Like x 1
  19. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Robert
    FYI, the same vendor (sfcable) sells the same thing on eBay for a couple bucks cheaper.

20. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA