[OM-D] Automatic HDR settings?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by majordude, Jan 9, 2013.

1. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    This has been asked here before but I can't find a thread where it is explained to my satisfaction.

Is there a way, other than manually, to take 3+ shots automatically and have them bracketed correctly for HDR processing?
  2. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  3. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Holy crap! It's easier just to do it manually!
  4. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    You can combine RAW images in camera, limited to 2 or 3 I believe, it's not HDR and doesn't do a great job blending and as I remember the output is a JPG.

So do the next best thing.

Once it's setup, which is a little tenuous, it works really easily and with excellent results.

I participated in the linked thread but I'll take a different tact here.

I setup myset1 to my kind of shooting/scene (landscape for me) and assign the rear function button to myset2 which is detailed next.

I setup myset2 with the SAME settings (just save the myset1 settings again) except with 9fps continuous shooting and add my 5 shot bracket setting.

We now have myset 1 set to normal and myset 2 to bracketed (also assigned to function button in myset 1)

When shooting in A mode, you press and hold the function button, modify the exposure if you want and then press the shutter half way (at this point you can release the function button if you want if shooting with a remote).

Then simply press the shutter down completely and hold it for .75 seconds while 5 shots rattle off and stop automagically! This method requires that you use a program to blend the shots to be complete.

This works, I use it all of the time even without a remote shutter release, (I press the shutter and hold constant, steady pressure on the camera until the sequence is complete).

It was the setup that was tedious but I've used it so much it was well worth it and it makes great shots when facing challenging DR situations!