OM-D (Auto ISO)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by csnoel, May 22, 2012.

1. csnoel

csnoel Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2012
    I am fairly new to photography and understanding all of the different settings. Is it normal, when using a flash, that (Auto ISO) would fluctuate from 200-1600? Depending on the distance the camera will compensate with higher ISO's. I understand the reason for this but many times if the subject is closer I might see anything from 200-800. When I change it from auto to say 250 everything looks better than what was taken when auto was 800. I guess my question is why wouldn't auto ISO calculate an ISO of 250 in these situations where a flash is being used?

As I am starting to become more familiar with the settings I am moving further away from any Auto settings. This might just help me better understand what is going on.

Thanks

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I don't know if this is the reason, but: even if you have the flash enabled there's no guarantee the flash will produce a predictable amount of light into the scene. Unlike a point and shoot with a fixed flash, the OM-D could be using the flash head-on, with a difusser, bounced off the wall/ceiling, etc.

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I don't know exactly about Oly gear but Panasonic sometimes fails me on higher auto ISO too, both metering and movement of the target could be the reason, there's a mode when Panasonic pushes the ISO up when detecting target's fast moving.

4. Panut

Panut Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Finland
    I'n not sure, but I guess it's because OM-D's auto iso is trying to keep shutter speed above slowest flash speed (actually the setting affects also when you shoot without a flash). See setting in personal settings menu F, second setting from top. By default it's 1/60 to work well also with slightly moving targets, but with a short glass, thanks to IBIS, you can actaully shoot with much lower with shutter speeds if your subject is stationary, as you say.

Check the shutter speed that the camera used for those different shots. If they're at minimum 1/60, I think that's it.

5. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    yes, auto ISO is unpredictable in any system. Thats why pros want a dedicated ISO button so they can control it themselves. Try shooting ISO in manual and let the camera choose the intensity of the flash.