OM-D Assign Button to ISO?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Fmrvette, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Here's an odd one.

My OM-D has ISO as an assignable function to the Record button. Works perfectly.

Nathan_h (in another thread) notes that he does not see ISO as an option.
    (Post 27 here: https://www.mu-43.com/f42/why-can-t-i-control-exposure-compensation-manual-my-em5-28058/index3.html).

I've checked the owner's manual, David Busch's book, searched the forum - and cannot remember how I got that option turned on. :confused::confused:

Can anyone refresh my memory, please? Nathan would like to assign the Record button to ISO and I can't tell him how to get there from here.

Thanks gang!

Regards,

Jim

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Menu, Gears, Gear B, Button function.

ISO can be assigned only to TWO of the three buttons on top of the camera...the third one doesn't have it as an option!

3. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Mike,

Thanks - but that's the issue Nathan is seeing. When he goes Menu/Gears/B/Button/Function he doesn't see the ISO as an assignable option on the Record button.

He sees:

Rec
    Preview
    AF area select
    [---] Home
    MF
    RAW<
    (Little fishes / big fish)
    Live Guide
    Digital teleconverter
    Magnify
    Off

Which is the 'standard' view outlined in the books.

However I see all of those PLUS the ISO option - I just can't remember how I got it to show up!

(Senior moments are funny but not fun :biggrin:).

Regards,

Jim

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I dunno how it was, I don't have he E-M5 anymore but I also put ISO on the record button so I am pretty sure it's possible. :D

5. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    :biggrin: Yeah, Monk3y, I'm sittin' here lookin' at it and it's driving me nuts.

I seem to recall something else on another menu having to be activated before ISO shows up as a choice but of course I didn't document it anywhere when I did it :frown:.

Usually my search methods are pretty good but they seemed to have failed me on this one. I know it has to be in the forums somewhere because I'm not bright enough to have come up with it all on my own :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

6. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    You guys are killing me :)

I'm beginning to think there is something I need to do first, before using Menu, Gears, Gear B, Button function to assign ISO to the rec button.

I think it's awesome our camera's are so adjustable and customizable. But sometimes it's also a little bit of a maze....

7. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep - I just can't remember WHAT!

I keep some .txt files that I've cut 'n copied from various sources on setting up the OM-D but this one seems to have not been documented by me.

Hang in there with us, Nathan - somebody smarter than I am will remember how it's done!

Regards,

Jim

8. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Okay, I was able to assign ISO to Fn2 button. Still no dice on the REC button, but I can live with that.

One this I tried, and I am not sure if it helped:

It is possible to allow AUTO ISO in PAS or PASM modes. I had my camera set to the latter. Maybe by switching to the former, ISO became available as something to assign to the Fn2 button.

I need to experiment some more. My goal is to be in M mode, and toggle between auto ISO and assigned ISO, depending on the shot. I think having ISO assigned to the Fn2 button will let me do this.

9. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I reset mine to PASM to test and ISO still was available with the Record button.

The Fn2 button would work as well, but I use the Record button so as to save the Fn2 for other things.

Still lookin' for the answer... :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

10. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Are your cameras on the same firmware?

11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Jim ..
    I know it and I am uploading a video on YouTube ,
    Cheers

12. Bhupinder2002

Hi Jim ..
    I know it and I have uploaded a video on YouTube .
    Here is the link .. Sorry for crappy quality as it was night and shot handheld with iPhone .Here is the link

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pL0PEXAtGM0]OMD ISO to Record Button - YouTube[/ame]

Cheers

13. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Wow. Well that's proof our camera's are different. I wonder why. I confirmed I have the latest firmware about 4 weeks ago.

Thanks for posting that.

14. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep, that's how mine works!

Thanks for posting.

Nathan's doesn't have the ISO option and I'm trying to remember how to show the ISO option in the list...

Frustrating.

:banghead:

Best regards,

Jim

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

15. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    BTW - In how many other forums would a member shoot a video at night and post it trying to help out another member who was, in turn, trying to help out yet another member????

This place absolutely rocks and Bhupinder gets a tip o' the hat for going above and beyond:2thumbs:.

:bowdown:

Regards,

Jim

16. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    O.K., I've dinked with this issue for quite awhile now with no joy :frown:.

We know the option of ISO assignment to the Record button is not on Nathan's OM-D E-M5 because he's confirmed it.

We know the option should be there because Bhupinder created a You Tube video showing it to be available. Not to mention proving that I'm not hallucinating because I see the option on my OM-D as well :biggrin:.

I am, therefore, calling in the big guns - I've sent a request for the answer to Olympus Support. I've had good experiences with email responses from them before and I hope they continue that trend.

I was quite clear that the issue is NOT that Nathan cannot locate Menu B; rather the issue is that ISO is not shown as being assignable to the Record button once he is in Menu B.

Past experience shows that Olympus Support answers via email within 24 hours.

When I get an answer from Oly I'll post.

In the interim if anyone remembers the trick to making ISO appear for the Record button please post it?

Thanks!

Jim

17. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    I'm on drugs. Not really, but that's what I feel like.

Last night I listed, stepping through the options, what I had to choose from on the REC button settings. See my post above.

Today I did more experimenting (turned on and off the AUTO ISO capability in M mode, found ISO option for customizing the Fn2 button, toggled a few different metering modes).

And now my list of options for customizing the REC button are:

Expsoure +/-
    AEL/AFL
    REC
    Preview
    AF Area Select
    [---] Home
    MF
    RAW<
    many fish/single fish
    Live Guide
    Digital TeleConverter
    magnify
    Off
    Multi Function
    ISO
    WB

---
    for some reason

Multi Function
    ISO
    WB
    Expsoure +/-
    AEL/AFL

Weren't there yesterday. Unless I was high (I wasn't).

I really appreciate you all being patient! They must have been there, right? It's very weird.

Unless there is another factor (like another menu and settings impact what one can see here) then it really is another reminder that one should never underestimate user error.

18. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    No and yes.

:biggrin:

No, looking at the original E-M5 user manual the ISO isn't listed as an option - exactly what you were seeing last night.

Yes, it's weird.

I'm not usually kerfuddled by Olympus menus but between last night and this morning I've been a bit perplexed.

(Daniel Boone was asked if he ever got lost in the woods and he replied "I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks." :biggrin:)

There is some combination of menu settings that enables the ISO option for the Record button and you must have happened on it. I simply can NOT remember what has to be toggled on before the ISO becomes a visible option on the Record button. Bhupinder and I knew it was there :biggrin:. Somewhere.

Perhaps the definitive answer on how to enable that option to visibility will be sent via email from Olympus and if so I'll post it. And make sure that I write it down this time :biggrin:.

Glad it's working for ya, Nathan. I like having ISO assigned to the Record button because otherwise the button goes unused for me (since I don't shoot video).

Regards,

Jim

19. Bhupinder2002

I think we are definitely different :2thumbs: I love this format and forum . The whole purpose of such a place is to help each other . I am glad that we do that here :smile::smile:

20. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    I looked it up in Busch's book, and he has a table with lots of options listed for the REC button/FN2 button, but then explains a few others in a text listing -- and of course ISO is in that second "addendum" list.

This implies what you are suggesting -- it's not visible all the time or by default or something.

But I don't see where he explains such a nuance.