OM-D as a surf camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by deepestbluest, Feb 5, 2013.

1. deepestbluest

deepestbluest Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    I've been itching to buy a waterproof housing for the better part of a decade to take a camera body into the surf; and have had to satiate myself with a GoPro.

Has anyone used the OM-D as a surf camera, and if so, what do you think? Thoughts in general? There are a few housings for around $1200-1300, so it would be a definite investment but probably less than a housing for a true DSLR.
  2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Search for posts on here by member Steph, he's posted some great surf images with an E-M5 using a housing.
  3. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Check out for advice.

You need to take care of the o-rings on housings each and every time you use them -- before and after.
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I have yet to order the housing for the EM5 but I did use one on my EPL1 for both dive and surf work. The original Oly housing is a great housing for surf work. It's very slightly positively boyant (without extra arms and strobes attached). It has a tripod screw for mounting accessory handles and strobes and it has decent controls that can be used with dive gloves. It's also the cheapest of the housings. I eventually exchanged the standard front port for a dome port for dive work but used the standard flat port for shooting surf.

For really heavy use you may go for something more substantial like Aquatech for surf or Subal for dive. But for recreational use the Oly housing is really good.