1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OM-D and the T32 Legacy Flash w/ Adapter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by digitalandfilm, Dec 3, 2012.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    If you have an older "legacy" flash, like the Olympus T32 or T20, you can safely use these flashes on the OM-D and feel safe doing so. You will not get TTL, but can shoot in "M" (manual) with decent results.. plus the T32 Olympus flash seems quite powerful.

I purchased the SMDV-512 Hot Shoe Safe Sync adapter from Photodiox:

I'm not a big "strobe" person, and today I just messed around in the house trying to get a feel on how well this will work.

Flipping the flash head up towards a white ceiling I was able to get decent results, and will probably do better once I research how best to use this setup.

If anyone has pointers with using legacy flashes with the OM-D- please share them.

View attachment 244276

View attachment 244277

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    S.Yorkshire, UK
    Les
    Just a quick question, as I'm thinking of getting a used T32 to have a play with.

Why did you get the safe sync adapter?

From botzilla Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages :-

Olympus T32 - 7.14V/8.4V, measured by J. Mark Morris/Russ Rosener,
    9.5-11.3V from Tom Mac Inerney

which are all within the OM-D's 24v safe voltage trigger.

Thx.

Les.

3. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Best answer- I had a coupon. :thumbup:

4. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    S.Yorkshire, UK
    Les
    LOL - a good answer !! :bravo-009:

I think I will pick up a T32 and have a play with flash in manual mode.

5. thomasrost

thomasrost New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2014
    I'm trying desperately to get my t32 to work with my em5, but it just won't fire. Any ideas what I can do to get it sorted?

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Instead of wasting time buying old flashes which may be defective along with safesyncs, wouldn't it be better to buy a modern manual/auto flash where the flash intensity can be adjusted by the user and has much higher output, like the Youngnuo 560:
    http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=293

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Size, cost and function. I picked up a Vivitar flash and safe-sync for a combined $25. It has a smaller form factor than the yongnuo, and is thyristor based, so I can set the iso, and then rely on it to calibrate power.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.