OM-D and the Pany 20 mm f1.7 lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fredsh, Apr 11, 2013.

1. fredsh

fredsh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I bought my OM-D just after the new year expecting to use the four thirds lenses that already had. Both the 14-54 mkII and the 50 mm f2 macro are great lenses but slow focusing; the macro especially so.
    Even before buying the camera, I'd been leaning toward the Panasonic lens.
    But I've heard that it too is slow to focus. Anyone out there with experience with this lens on the OM-D? I would appreciate any thoughts and observations!

2. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I used the 20 as a rental before buying an E-M5. I don't remember it being too slow for my uses. The 25 PL is quick to focus.

3. blitzkriegh

blitzkriegh New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2013
    I have the 20mm on my omd and love it every single moment i use. While there are claims that af is too slow, for normal and general use, daylight street photography, i thought af fast enough. Ofcourse, olympus lenses especially the 17mm 1.8 would be slightly faster but given what the 20mm can offer in terms of price, form factor and most especially the sharpness and IQ, its hard to beat.

4. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I thought it was fast enough.

And plenty sharp - this, at f/2.5

Attached Files:

5. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I made the same topic last week, and no one replied. lol. I bought it, and it was supposed to arrive today, but it hasn't. :'(

6. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    It is fine. I find it advantageous to set the AF to a single point though.

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Only time mine hunts in in very low light conditions. Setting it to single point AF helps quite a bit. Daylight is just as snappy as the kit lens. This is on a G3, new 20mm bought in March.

8. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    It is one of my most used lenses on the OM-D. It is not a superfast focuser but I wouldn't call it slow.

I really like it for the optical quality and compactness.

8447418971_6273525f5f_c.
    D700_2013-02-05_DSC_4108-Edit.jpg by Morten Westergaard, on Flickr

You can see some of my shots here

The newest is with the OM-D

9. thaiusmle

thaiusmle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    Any word on high ISO banding when pairing 20mm f1.7 with the OM-D?

10. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Yeah, I'd like to know that too... and also if prefocusing or using manual focus helps reduce the effect. I guess anyone with a GH3, E-PL5 or E-PM2 could chip in seeing as they have the same sensor.

11. therourke

therourke Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    London
    I use my 20mm on my OMD 90% of the time, but must admit to meeting frustration with ISO settings and banding. I've lost some great photos with careless light settings. Shame to not be able to use the camera's full capabilities because of this. SORT IT OUT OLYMPUS/PANASONIC!

Speed wise, no problems. It's a really superb all rounder.

12. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    I've not noticed any banding issue, but then I limit the ISO to 1600 having not yet found a reason to go above that.

13. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Cheers guys. Seeing as the noise is supposedly linked to the AF motor, does it make any difference if you prefocus or use manual focus? Sorry to ask the same question twice... I guess I'll find out myself eventually when I get around to upgrading my GF1.

14. bmorena

bmorena Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    I bought the om-d planning on using the 20 but found focus to be less than desirable. A lot of my subject are my kids so quickness definitely depends on what your shooting. I switched to the 17 1.8 and have had no regrets.

15. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    I really like my panny 20mm which I use on my EP-3, but it's autofocus is no way near as fast as my olly 12mm. I take lots of photos of my 2 year old and therefore I really notice the difference in autofocus speed, more so perhaps than other people where this consideration may be less important or noticeable.

16. fredsh

fredsh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Just to add to the conversation, which has been very helpful to me, how does the Oly pancake lens, - I believe its a 17mm f 2.8, stack up against the Pany?
    What initiated my original question was focusing speed, and the lack thereof in the 4/3rds lenses that I'd been using.
    A few years back, I recall there was a image thread of pix taken with the Oly 17mm. Don't recall focusing was mentioned.

17. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    It is quicker, but it is subpar at every other category.

If 20/1.7 isn't your cup of tea, the immediate alternatives are 19/2.8, 17/1.8, 25/1.4.

18. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    As far as my experience the only time I felt that the 20 focused slow was in low light. Otherwise the difference is minimal.
    Rich

19. soko

soko New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2013
    Melbourne
    I'm loving my 20mm + OM-D combo, shoots are sharp and best of all the camera ends up being tiny.