1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D and PL/25 lock up

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wanderenvy, May 12, 2012.

1. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Hi all,

I got lucky and managed to snag an OM-D E-M5 and the Panasonic Leica 25mm from Adorama when they were both briefly in stock last week. Unfortunately, my entry into the m43 world isn't turning out to be a positive experience.

The PL 25 has "locked up" twice in the two days that I have been playing with the setup. It will simply not autofocus. The camera continues to wait for focus confirmation, so the shutter has no effect. Changing to MF does not help since it's a focus by wire system.

The first time this happened, it seemed to "recover" within a few minutes. It happened the second time the next day as I was getting ready for my first field trip with the camera and it is still non-functional. Have tried removing the lens and the battery multiple times, but it hasn't helped. Also tried resetting the camera to no effect.

Not sure if I have a defective lens, a defective OM-D or if this is a compatibility issue. Unfortunately, I don't have a Panasonic body or another native lens to verify if either is working.

There are reports of people having issues with the Panasonic 20mm, but the problem is the OM-D not coming out of sleep, not with the lens.

Any feedback is appreciated. Is there a way to reset the lens?

Would hate to return this lens to Adorama or send it in for repairs. The 30 or so pictures I managed to take in one evening are wonderful.

Many thanks!

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Try to get a hold of another lens, so that you can determine if it's the camera or the PL25. If you can't find a local store to try it, I'd order another lens from Adorama, BH or Amazon. Get the Oly 45/1.8. It's not too expensive and it's an excellent lens to have. Or try the Pany 14/2.5, which is one of the better auto focusing lenses in the m4/3 lineup.

So far, I have used all three lenses on my OMD and have not encountered any problems yet.

3. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    My PL25 f/1.4 and OMD combo never woke up after if went to sleep. I had to pull the battery out due to it being unresponsive toggling on/off switch.

Only happened once so far. Otherwise the lens perfectly focuses....

4. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    When you mount the lens, do you press the mount button?
    If so, try to mount the lens without touching the mount button as that will disturb the camera - lens communication. Just turn the lens until it "clicks" in place.

Hope this helps.

5. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Hi - thanks all for responding.

@Armanius - Good suggestion. Going to check today if any of the local shops have any 4/3 lenses in stock and will let me play with them. Was too bummed out yesterday. The 45mm is sadly out of stock at all the major retailers. Darn, should have picked one up a few weeks ago when Olympus outlet was selling reconditioned ones for $300, but I didn't want to invest in the system without physically trying out the OM-D.

@AlanU - It worked fine for me too, until it just didn't. Both times, I switched the camera on and there was no autofocus. No warning signs or error messages.

@Henk - I saw the issue mentioned. No, I am not pressing the release button.

I updated the camera firmware to 1.1. The menu seems a fraction more responsive, but no changes to the autofocus. I also found the cheat sheet for accessing the diagnostic menu on PEN cameras and it works for the OM-D. There are no error codes listed on the "D:" page.

6. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, there's something wrong obviously...need to test another lens to see whether it's the lens or the body.

For the record, my E-M5 and 25/1.4 combo have been perfect so far...no issues at all and I've shot with the 25 on the camera quite a bit. (several hundred exposures).

7. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

No problems with that combo here either, fyi.

8. timgoesusa

timgoesusa Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2011
    Amsterdam
  9. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Okay, so this is weird.

A friend has an E-PL2 with the Olympus 14-42 and I swapped his lens on to my OM-D. It worked fine, so nothing wrong with the body.

Then we tried the PL25 on his camera and it worked fine!

We swapped the lens back on to the OM-D and it's working now!

We had confirmed just prior to the swap that it wasn't working, so clearly adding an Olympus lens to the OM-D reset something in the camera or vice-versa for the PL25.

One thing I noticed immediately that the PL 25 is "rattlesnaking" more after the swap. There was none before.

10. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Not an OM-D story but I just received the 25mm and put it on my E-P3. Within 5 minutes of testing it had locked and forced the camera to restart three times.

It also seems to make a strange click/vibration when focusing around 1.2m so maybe it's defective. Certainly the packaging amazon used won't have helped preserve anything delicate inside :mad:

11. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Stating the obvious but is the firmware on the camera up to date? This sounds like a firmware issue.

Also, can you see any diagnostic error codes? I used the page below for directions on how to access the hidden menus. See the section on PEN.

biofos.com: How to access hidden camera codes on most Olympus cameras.

12. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Sadly the firmware for lens and camera was up to date. Good thought though.

Thanks for the error codes link - I'll check it out and come back with any findings.

Edit - 8228 is the only code there. No idea what that means or when it was created but I'll google some more.