OM-D and Lightroom settings?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by majordude, Jan 15, 2013.

1. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
  2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    I've never used that preset, I do use the Huelight profile, but they can't really be compared, there is much more than just colour adjustment in that preset.

To my mind, I don't see how you can have a generic setting for all those adjustments that will work with every image, even as a starting point.

I'm happy starting from scratch (with the Huelight Colur profile, which does a good job of replicating the famous "Olympus Colours").

My 2p worth.

• Like Like x 1
  3. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I've used the "Universal" preset, but never the Huelight.

I've found it a good starting point for RAW images straight out of the camera. The default lightroom profiles are somewhat featureless and linear. This profile starts to put some structure around things.

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The Huelight often gives a good, quick result - I usually give it a try, it's easy to CTRL+Z.

The suggested settings in the post quoted in the OP are, I think, crazy. I have never needed to make most of those adjustments to a well-exposed (or even a poorly-exposed) raw file. To suggest that these are "universal" settings is amazing, though I guess there's room for YMMV.

• Like Like x 2
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I find there are 3 major things that Lightroom 'gets wrong' by default, at least for my sort of photography (landscapes).

Tone curve is too flat. Switched from Linear to Medium.
    Overall colors are a little dull. Added +8 for Saturation.
    Blues are a bit too flat. +8 on blue channel saturation.

Other than that, I'm happy with the default settings.

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I use LR straight out of the box. I tried the preset and it did make a difference but it was slight and more "different" than "better" in my view. It also has a weird combination of settings and even increases a setting in one place only to reduce the same thing somewhere else. While the result is OK, I cannot help but think there has to be a simpler way of achieving that result than doing all of those things to an image. I definitely don't want to apply all of those changes to an image as a default, and then start playing with them all over again in order to get the image to where I want it anyway.

Ultimately I rarely touch the HSL settings, and I often don't use the Curves settings. The bulk of what I do gets done in the Basic panel plus sharpening and noise reduction (Detail Panel), and removing chromatic aberration and defringing. I like Lightroom's defaults overall.