OM-D: All Shutter Speeds Sound the Same

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mxlin, Nov 2, 2012.

1. mxlin

mxlin Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2010
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Just got my second hand OM-D, noticed that all shutter speed settings sounded about the same: 1/400th is no different than 1/40th second to me both visually and audibly, only of course if set at 1/5th then I notice a difference. Is me be paranoid or it's EVF/LCD "refresh" rate or is something wrong?

Any thoughts and opinion on this is greatly appreciated.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Electronic first curtain.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. mxlin

mxlin Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2010
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Can you please elaborate?

4. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    By default, many mirrorless cameras have an electronic first curtain shutter. It's when the sensor is used as the first curtain rather than a physical shutter. It has advantages in reducing shutter lag and vibration reduction. What you're hearnig is the shutter curtain closing and the shutter recocking, so it sounds the same and takes the same amount of time regardless of the shutterspeed you set. There's no noise, delay or vibration of the first curtain with an electronic first curtain shutter.

Gordon

5. Brynjar

Brynjar New to Mu-43

Sep 22, 2012
    Well, I thought it was no electronic 1st curtain in the OM-D? Most likely the previous owner have set the "Anti-shock"; bottom item on Custom Menu "E", to 1/8". This would give you a 1/8" delay between mechanical shutter closure - mechanical shutter open, leading to the similar sound of all fast shutterspeeds.

Brynjar

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not Olympus m4/3. Aside from Panasonic's G5 which has a full electronic shutter mode, no m4/3 has EFCS.

7. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    As long as the exposure is ok, I don't see a reason for you to be paranoid.

Try this: put the camera in A mode, go outside in a sunny day with a fast lens, start from the wides aperture that gives you 1/4000 shutter, and snap a photo. Close the aperture one stop so the shutter speed is 1/2000. Take a photo of the same subject. The exposure should be the same. You can keep going lower, and the exposure should remain relatively constant.

8. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    learned something new today. thanks.

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It's about what a person can perceive. I dug out my OM-PC and set it for 1/60th and 1/500th, and I had trouble telling the difference in sound, and opening the back film cover and looking through the film plane I also had a tough time telling the difference visually.

They say that if you coloured one frame of movie film black and ran it at 24 frames per second you'd see the black frame, but if you ran it any faster you wouldn't see the black frame.