1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D Aftermarket Battery options?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by birdie, Sep 17, 2013.

1. birdie

birdie Mu-43 Regular

I'm looking at getting is a couple of additional batteries for my "new" OM-D, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with aftermarket batteries for the OM-D? Any particular brands to look for or avoid?

2. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
  3. gollum14

gollum14 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2013
    UK
    Martin Davey
    I got a couple off of Amazon, which came from Hong Kong, cost me about £8 a piece, so far so good:wink:

4. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    I also have a set of two batteries and a charger on the way from an aftermarket company. According to the company, the batteries are "de-coded" and will perform just like the original. Guess that I will find out if this is true. "Certified Battery" is the name of the company that I ordered from.

Only slightly off topic, I am sure that not everyone understands how the aftermarket companies work. I know that some products that are available are the same as the original, not similar, the same. Not all products are this way.

5. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I've got some aftermarket batteries that came with a grip I bought from a member on here. Haven't blown up the camera yet, should be good to go!

6. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    An update. I received the charger and ONE battery from "Certified Battery." I was supposed to have two of them. The company (fellow name of Jay) responded quickly and the second one is on the way. Nice to know that they are being very responsible about the error. I will have no issue dealing with them in the future.
    The battery looks to be the same as the originals. And it shows the charge level in the camera viewfinder. It also seems to have about the same capacity, but this is very subjective. I am not getting that many shots with the originals, at least not yet. I assume that I will need to do some reading on how to be more efficient, but as I am still learning the camera I am sure that will come soon. (any tips are welcomed....)

7. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I get about twice as many shots with the oem batteries vs the aftermarket ones. Which is sort of a big deal unless you wanna carry a bunch of batteries with you. I forgot to bring my charger and figured 4 batteries would be fine for two days worth of shooting in Chicago. It lasted me, but if blew through both aftermarket batteries in the span of a couple hours and used up one oem battery as well. Thankfully I was using the grip and the camera would somehow find a way to occasionally suck more power out of the dead battery inside the grip. One thing I did notice is that the only way to use the hld6 is to have a live battery inside it. It won't run off the battery inside the camera itself, which got really annoying at the end of the day. Eventually I just took the grip off.

Granted, the oem batteries are really expensive, but you get what you pay for. Normally it's not such a big deal but I am glad I had two oem batteries with me.

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Birdie!

I've had good results from these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084FM5JC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a problem with the charger and their service was friendly and quick to send out a no charge replacement.

Regards,

Jim