OM-D 40-150mm Lens Problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tom M, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Tom M

Tom M Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Georgia/Maine
    Tom
    I was out shooting with my OM-D and the Olympus 40-150mm lens yesterday. I went to take a shot and the viewfinder went black - like I had the lens cap still on. You could see all of the camera settings - but no image. I turned the camera off and back on, and it cleared up. I made several pictures ok, and then it happened again. I discovered that as I zoom out, at a certain point if goes black. Then you have to turn the camera off to get it working again. I changed to my 12-50mm lens, and it seems to work OK. Thought I would see if anyone had seen anything like this before I call Olympus.

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  3. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    In my case I just took the lens of and put it back. I figured it's a bad contact between camera and lens. Cleaning those contacts helped in my case.

4. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I'm using 40-150 quite a lot never have the same problem, try checking your aperture and contact see if the problem persist.

5. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    I had this when I first got the camera using the 9-18mm Olympus, gave the contacts a wipe, re-attached the lens and it has been perfect ever since. Wierdly enough when I first got a 5D, I had an lens error message popup, but again this was within the first few days of having the camera, and 2 years later, its never done it since.

Don`t know if its a coincidence but perhaps being that its brand new and the contacts have a slight coating of something, I really dont know, but it was 100% a lens to body contact issue for me on the OMD.

6. Tom M

Tom M Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Georgia/Maine
    Tom
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I wiped the contacts and reattached the lens. Now it is not blacking out, but when I zoom in S-AF mode without the shutter depressed, when it gets to a certain point in the zoom, it acts as if it's trying to refocus - you hear a click and it gets fuzzy and then clears again. I will keep working with it. Do you use anything but a dry cloth to clean the contacts?

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.