1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D 40-150mm Lens Problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tom M, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Tom M

Tom M Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Georgia/Maine
    Tom
    I was out shooting with my OM-D and the Olympus 40-150mm lens yesterday. I went to take a shot and the viewfinder went black - like I had the lens cap still on. You could see all of the camera settings - but no image. I turned the camera off and back on, and it cleared up. I made several pictures ok, and then it happened again. I discovered that as I zoom out, at a certain point if goes black. Then you have to turn the camera off to get it working again. I changed to my 12-50mm lens, and it seems to work OK. Thought I would see if anyone had seen anything like this before I call Olympus.

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  3. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    In my case I just took the lens of and put it back. I figured it's a bad contact between camera and lens. Cleaning those contacts helped in my case.

4. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I'm using 40-150 quite a lot never have the same problem, try checking your aperture and contact see if the problem persist.

5. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    I had this when I first got the camera using the 9-18mm Olympus, gave the contacts a wipe, re-attached the lens and it has been perfect ever since. Wierdly enough when I first got a 5D, I had an lens error message popup, but again this was within the first few days of having the camera, and 2 years later, its never done it since.

Don`t know if its a coincidence but perhaps being that its brand new and the contacts have a slight coating of something, I really dont know, but it was 100% a lens to body contact issue for me on the OMD.

6. Tom M

Tom M Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Georgia/Maine
    Tom
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I wiped the contacts and reattached the lens. Now it is not blacking out, but when I zoom in S-AF mode without the shutter depressed, when it gets to a certain point in the zoom, it acts as if it's trying to refocus - you hear a click and it gets fuzzy and then clears again. I will keep working with it. Do you use anything but a dry cloth to clean the contacts?

Thanks