1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D 14-42 Kit Lens "Please check the status of a lens"

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sterlingimages, May 6, 2012.

1. sterlingimages

sterlingimages New to Mu-43

May 4, 2012
    Martinsburg, WV
    When I was using the 14-42 kit lens yesterday it was behaving erratically, intermittently displaying the message "Please check the status of a lens." This happens with the lens extended for photographing.

It would either delay autofocus or not focus at all. It does not happen all the time but enough to be seriously disruptive to photographing.

Anyone else experience this and or suggest a solution?

Thanks ...

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Dirty contacts on the lens or camera? Worth cleaning them just in case.

3. sterlingimages

May 4, 2012
    Martinsburg, WV
    Hard to imagine dirty contacts on a brand new kit. But probably with a try anyway.

Also did not mention that the lens behaves the same or even worse on my GH2.

I'm wondering if I should try to get B&H to replace the lens since I've had it for less than a week.

4. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    Send it back. It's broken. If it behaves the same on two different cameras it is definitely defective.

5. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I agree - hard to imagine but not impossible. Certainly if that doesn't work then you should ask for a replacement lens.

6. sterlingimages

May 4, 2012
    Martinsburg, WV
    Update: I called B&H and after explaining the problem they issued an RMA I shipped the lens back for replacement.

7. neilc

neilc New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2012
    Happened also to my 12-50mm on my OM-D. I requested a replacement already.

8. sterlingimages

May 4, 2012
    Martinsburg, WV
    Hmmmm ....

That sounds like it could be something more than a defective lens. Maybe a firmware issue?

In any event I received an acknowledgement from B&H that they received my returned lens so now I'm waiting to get the replacement.

9. MENINBLK

MENINBLK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2012
    Westchester County, New York, USA
    Peter Romano
    Did any of you try to update the camera and lens firmware ?

10. sterlingimages

May 4, 2012
    Martinsburg, WV
    Update: just to close the loop on this, I received a replacement in a little over a week and after a couple of outings with the replacement lens, I can report that the replacement is working fine.