OM-D 12-50 kit lens, put to the test..

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by littleMT, Jul 12, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Ok, I put up some images using the 12-50 lens on my E-pl1 that were pretty decent, only to be told the lens can get good results in good light, but not low light...

So, I wanted to shoot some night shots with it.

My son and I drove out to the carwash, as the Caliber and her new wheels needed a bath...

I shot these using the 45mm f/1.8, just to get some comparision shots with the 12-50, the time was around midnight. This shot I think came out nice, but we had to move to another carwash bay, as this one didn't work..which is to bad, as the tree added to the image IMO.

calb45-1.

This bay works, and water spraying and misting everywhere..

calb45-2.

Now I slap on the 12-50 lens and shoot some images

calb12-1.

calb12-2.

calb12-3.

calb12-4.

Tell me what you think.....I think the 12-50 can take a nice nightime lowlight shot...

So I then tried some pitch darkness shots with some led light painting, and this lens failed. All my images are noisy with funny artifacts all over..

I tried to clean this one up...again, shot in pitch darkness, a 25 second exposure..

calb12-5.

I find still that the pany 20mm f/1.8 lens is the best lens for pitch darkness shots.

the 12-50 lens is rather decent, and can be had on the cheap, as many here are selling them for bargain prices, and it does shot a nice day shot, as seen here, these were shot in harsh sunlight..

cali-newwheels-1.

cali-newwheels-2.

I need to play with the macro mode of this lens....

• Like Like x 5
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    LittleMT, I think you could get great shots using a Coca-Cola bottle for a lens! If the 12-50mm is good enough for you, then it's good enough for me. :smile: