OM-D 12-50 kit lens, put to the test..

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by littleMT, Jul 12, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Ok, I put up some images using the 12-50 lens on my E-pl1 that were pretty decent, only to be told the lens can get good results in good light, but not low light...

So, I wanted to shoot some night shots with it.

My son and I drove out to the carwash, as the Caliber and her new wheels needed a bath...

I shot these using the 45mm f/1.8, just to get some comparision shots with the 12-50, the time was around midnight. This shot I think came out nice, but we had to move to another carwash bay, as this one didn't work..which is to bad, as the tree added to the image IMO.

This bay works, and water spraying and misting everywhere..

Now I slap on the 12-50 lens and shoot some images

Tell me what you think.....I think the 12-50 can take a nice nightime lowlight shot...

So I then tried some pitch darkness shots with some led light painting, and this lens failed. All my images are noisy with funny artifacts all over..

I tried to clean this one up...again, shot in pitch darkness, a 25 second exposure..

I find still that the pany 20mm f/1.8 lens is the best lens for pitch darkness shots.

the 12-50 lens is rather decent, and can be had on the cheap, as many here are selling them for bargain prices, and it does shot a nice day shot, as seen here, these were shot in harsh sunlight..

I need to play with the macro mode of this lens....
    • Like Like x 5
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    LittleMT, I think you could get great shots using a Coca-Cola bottle for a lens! If the 12-50mm is good enough for you, then it's good enough for me. :smile: