OM-D/12-50 Failure

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OCULUS, Dec 8, 2012.

1. OCULUS

OCULUS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Albany, NY
    Ray Hull
    Howdy,
    I'm sorry to make my second post a horror story, but I am anxious about my OM-D kit that has been back for service three times. I have finally deduced that it was a (kit) 12-50mm lens-function failure that was causing the camera to do very strange things when powered up. It is on its way back from Hauppauge right now; I have learned this much from an online service order diagnosis/comment with "exchanged" on the lens.

The intermittent symptoms upon powering up ranged from the camera locking up and begin hunting on focus, firing, with no shutter release button function, and finally, no power switch OFF function (had to pull the battery). First trip, (body only) they upgraded body firmware, second trip, (body only, despite my suggestion that the lens go too) found nothing amiss with body. Then, I plugged the home-alone 12-50 lens on my P3 and the PEN went berserk. That's when I sent the lens down and apparently they have concurred with my accidental diagnosis.

I can provide more details if anyone is interested, but would prefer to wait until it's back in hand and confirmed "cured." :rolleyes: FWIW, it was an early model, arriving here April 17 and I had updated firmware once.

2. micronean

micronean Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    wow. Did it happen early in its life, or eventually after many uses?

I assume you didn't spill vodka & orange juice on your lens (because that's how my first camera went equally berserk, at a party, so many many years ago :smile:).

3. OCULUS

OCULUS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Albany, NY
    Ray Hull
    No, started about a month ago (@ maybe 2000? actuations); I just thought that I had hit one of the myriad of buttons or somehow turned on Continuous Auto Focus because that was essentially what it was doing...for about 15 seconds...then would settle down and be fine for days. The intervals grew shorter, until last month, I was showing it to a photog friend, reached over, turned it on in his hands, and noticed the EVF was not switching on as he brought it to his eye (screen stayed lit). He couldn't get it to focus with release depressed, etc. I grabbed it back and it was totally locked up. I thought it might "unlock" after a few minutes, and set it aside. Five minutes later, I became concerned about heat buildup and disconnected the battery grip. Then it was fine again, but I wasn't. It went back to Oly that afternoon.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sorry to hear about the issue, Ray - hope Olympus turns it around quickly for you!

5. OCULUS

OCULUS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Albany, NY
    Ray Hull
    Back and working...

I have it back, with an exchanged 12-50 kit lens, and all seems to be working well. Bottom line: TEST any troubles by swapping lenses. Mine acted up upon powering up, especially mounting the 12-50 on after changing lenses.

FWIW, Oly also cautioned me about hitting the body's lens-release tab accidentally--it's a switch as well as a lock. If you hit it, the screen blanks, but it should pop right back on after release.