OM and 4/3s Mounts

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Mar 22, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I don't know if anyone has come across this before, but I've just discovered that the OM mount and 4/3s mount are identical ie, you can put a 4/3s lens on an OM body and you can almost put an OM lens directly on a 4/3s body, the only thing stopping the latter is that there needs to be slightly more clearance behind the body side of the mount. The lens will fit in the mount, but you can't turn it to lock.

How do I know? I've been cobbling together an Olympus OM bellows unit to use with my m4/3s system and today I received a Soligor 2x converter for OM, from which I removed the lens element to make a macro tube (it only cost $6, so why not). I've got an OM to m4/3s adapter for the camera end and I'm now working on making the lens end take a m4/3s mount.

But in playing around, I discovered that my Pentax to 4/3s adapter attached perfectly to the OM mount. On playing around further, I could attach any of my 4/3s lenses to the OM mount as well. How about that? I've always assumed that the OM mount was completely different to the 4/3s mount, but they are ostensibly the same. :eek: But that now means I can easly use my Pentax and Nikon lenses with the bellows, by just using a 4/3s adapter. :biggrin: