1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM alike PEN?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by zerotiu, Jan 9, 2012.

1. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm all for it. I prefer the classic-SLR style bodies over rangefinders. I had an Nikon FM2 and just love the feel of that type of camera!

3. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I hope they're not just re-design the body and throw new tech viewfinder...if it's going to cost a lot they should update the sensor performance too....I'm not talking about mega pixel gimmick...but dynamic range and noise handling in low light condition.....

4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I agree the noise handling could be improved; although with care I can get good results at ISO 3200 I prefer to keep ISO 1600 as the upper limit. However, I don't feel DR is a problem - maybe I don't take such high contrast scenes as others.

5. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Not so sure I want an SLR style body, might as well stick with one of the more compact DSLRs. What I do want is a digital version of the Olympus 35RC - with interchangeable lenses. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm confused. The original Pens F had a built-in OVF. Neither the Pens nor the OMs were weather-sealed. The main difference between the Pen and the OM was the larger size, not the aesthetic.

So what does an OM-alike camera mean? Larger sensor somehow seems unlikely.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I prefer RF to SLR any day of the week. The proof is in the execution, but this one might not be for me. Plus, I like my EPM1. I need a bit a improved sensor to drop a lot of money on a new body, though the integrated EVF is a must for me to move to a new body, too.

8. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I think this is a mistake for Olympus. They should have focused on upgrading the PEN series with new sensor and EVF.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

9. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    They've got to put that EVF somewhere and maybe it just won't fit in a Pen!

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Odd. The same-sized NEX-7 has no difficulty there.

DH

11. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    You think too seriously and literally :rolleyes:. I think what the news wants to say :
    - it has a retro look,
    - built in view finder (and of couse electronic! I don't want to buy new camera with optical view finder, do you??).
    - other features like weather sealed..

I hope it has better sensor with dynamic range improvement, ISO capability, and battery life maybe? Make it big like the one inside entry level DSLR :biggrin:

12. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Sony is a magical company. They have a long history of making impossibly small gadgets. Some years ago I had their minidisk player that was almost the same size as the minidisk itself! It was so slim there was no room for the headphone jack and I had to use an included adapter to connect my headphones to it. I still don't know how they managed to pack all the electronics and mechanics in there. From what I have seen, the NEX-7 also is a wonder of technology and manufacturing. Maybe Olympus simply doesn't have all the necessary technologies to make something like the NEX-7? :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  13. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I quite agree, but at the moment Olympus and Panasonic don't seem to be able to follow suite.

14. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    OM bodies were sealed against dust and moisture. The lenses and lens mount were not.

I expect this to be the "Pen Pro" everyone has been waiting for. It's just not a Pen. It will be slr-like (maybe retro OMish) along the lines of the Panasonic G's and GH's. It will be priced like the E1, E3, E5 four thirds bodies. Hopefully there will also be something like a four thirds mid-range lens or two.

Fred

Oh, and it will probably be a disappointing (to many) 12 megapixels with only minor image quality improvements over what's currently available. I've been Olympus watching since the E1 and I've learned not to get my hopes up too high. I would love to be wrong on this part.

F

15. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I expect you're right - I just don't understand why the need to distinguish between Pen-like and OM-like. Oh well...

At this point, weather-sealing is a lot less interesting to me than a good standard zoom lens and a better sensor, but I guess I'm weird that way!

As to battery life, the only solution is a bigger battery, or a hybrid VF.

But Fuji does... Strange world!

DH

16. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I suppose it won't be too hard now for Olympus to fit a VF in a reasonable sized, nicely styled body.

Look at how small they manage to get their MFT cameras, they have more space to build upon now.

17. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    I withheld my opinion until specs are released. The rumors are that there is going to be something magical about the viewfinder, such as transparent OLED so most likely Olympus is not going to duplicate G/GH line. I am in the group of folks who find LCD viewing a handicap. Using SLR or RF gives me a way to be more engaged with a subject, less distraction, better stability etc. So, I am waiting for Olympus upcoming shining new product with an open wallet. I am certain that the sensor improvement will be part of the new release.

George.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Sony and Fujifilm belong to the same keiretsu :rolleyes:

19. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I use to share the same sentiment as you, but after many years of being a fan, it seems as if Sony is more focused on initial impression than overall functionality and long-term use.

I had a very early CD walkmen where the player was barely bigger than the disc itself. It required a separate proprietary adapter for headphones etc. The downside, and I hold this opinion with most Sony products, is when they abandon, or discontinue something...you're screwed.

Too much technology and innovation, not enough flexibility.

As far as the thread topic: I approve.
    My OM bodies are no bigger than the E-P3 and they definitely have an RF/ Pen vibe to them regardless of the SLR design. I can see them maintaining the PEN shape while using the penta-prism hump as an EVF.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/60306264@N08/6115227979/" title="Olympus Pen-2 by ZephyrZ33, on Flickr"> 6115227979_6972a41a8f_z. "640" height="480" alt="Olympus Pen-2"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  20. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Those are some slick looking cameras!

I really wish we could get back to the same sort of simplified interface that existed with the OMs and whatnot. I don't mean that in a 'get rid of AF and LCDs' sort of way, but in terms of not having so darned many little buttons everywhere. Guess that's a bit hard though, when the number of features doubles every 2 iterations or so.

DH