OM Adapter Arriving Today: Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brewed4Thought, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Brewed4Thought

Brewed4Thought Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2011
    Santa Rosa, CA
    My buddy dropped off an old Olympus OM-1 at my desk last week and I promptly ordered a Fotodioz adapter for my E-PL-1.

The OM-1 has a 50mm F1.8, 75-150mm F4, 50mm Macro F3.5 and a 28-70mm F3.5-4.5.

Any suggestions? Requests? I'm new to using adapted lenses and have had the PL-1 for maybe 6 months now. I'm interested in learning as much as I can, so if you have tricks, easy to advanced, I'd love to hear them.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I had the 50mm/1.8 and 75-150mm/4, and they are both wonderful lenses. The f/1.8 is actually smaller than many other lenses designated as "pancake". The 75-150mm/4 is the first zoom lens made for the OM system, and is very versatile. The only reason I don't use it as much as the primes is because you can't input exact IS focal lengths for a zoom lens. You pretty much have to either turn off IS or keep it in an "in between" focal length, like say 135mm or so (in my experience, the mid-point focal length works better than turning it off). I've heard good things of the macro lens, but not much of the 28-70mm. The 28mm primes are more popular for the wide angle, and they pair up nicely with a fast 50.

If you want to replace those two zoom lenses with primes, then the 28mm f/2.8 and the 200mm f/4 would be good choices as well. With the 50mm f/1.8 in between, you'll have a nice, compact 3-lens prime set.