OM-4 Feature in u43? What?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bassam Guy, May 11, 2016.

1. Bassam Guy

Bassam Guy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2015
    boat-flecha.JPG I'm posting this in the hope that Olympus monitors mu-43 and sees a lot of agreement.

Please, no critiques! This is not even a u43 photo! Even if you hate it, this is about the exposure...

Many years ago I only had one, maybe two, frames left in the roll of B&W film loaded in my Olympus OM-4T (Plus-X?) and no more rolls. I was driving to my girlfriend's place on Boston's North Shore when I spotted The Flecha. I was willing to blow the highlights as I wanted detail from the dark areas. Two spot readings in the near black area below-right of "FLECHA", one on the lighter area of the hull beneath that, and one in a dark area in the sky. Considering reciprocity failure (compensated by two spot readings on the darkest area), I was near certain that the OM-4T's ability to average out those four (and up to 8) spot readings would give me at worst a workable exposure. It sure did, within a 1/2 stop. No second frame remained.

I know no one wants more clutter in the already labyrinthian Olympus menu but why can't Olympus allow us to assign a button to multi-spot metering, a technology that they released with the OM-4 in 1983? Sure, I get a single spot reading and have a far more advanced metering system on my E-M5 II; sure, I could fiddle around a bit for the best bracket settings (my 32GB never fills)... but I still can't think of a faster and better way than four blind taps on a button to nail the above exposure.

Maybe you think it's stupid. If so, is it more stupid than during-exposure Art Filters that you can apply post-exposure? If so, would you be required to use it?

Please, especially if you've had the pleasure of using the OM-4(3)'s multi-spot metering and miss it occasionally.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I see your point but think we've moved way beyond that with the capability to see what needs to be adjusted to get the exposure we want right in the EVF or LCD. No guessing what it's going to look like when it is processed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bassam Guy

Bassam Guy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2015
    And I see your point. Perhaps it's because my recently purchased E-M5 II reminds me so much of the same color toned OM-4(T)s that I shot with heavily for twenty years that it feels like somethings missing. Perhaps I'm old and reminiscing of the golden days of yore.

Perhaps I should retract this post.

Naaaaaah. I'd still instinctively use multi-spot metering!
  4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I just want to know how things worked out with the girlfriend and if she had big Revere hair? ;)
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Multispot metering was amazing on the OM-3, it let me shoot entire rolls of slide film without bracketing or breaking out a spot meter and nailed every shot... it is remarkably reliable. Using one of the spot meter modes would sort of do the same however it's slower to switch to the one needed than just hit the button a few times (multispot was *really* fast).

I have to admit that I don't really miss it when using digital however for film it's still an amazing tool.
  6. Bassam Guy

Bassam Guy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2015
    Things always worked out well with my Cape Verdean honey. Was on my way to Winthrop past Reveah after a night of Bird, McHale, and Parish - hmmm, so it must have been Plus-X 400.
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I could see something like this having a ton of value on DSLRs. It was a rude awakening when I realized that I needed to chimp every image I take in contrasty conditions with my K-S2 to ensure that it doesn't break the exposure. Granted, it has pretty good exposure latitude in RAW so you can rescue images. But I'm so used to extracting "optimal" exposures from my mirrorless cameras that it still feels weird.

...With my GX7 I just turn the exposure compensation dial while looking through the EVF and my exposure is exactly what I want it to be every single time.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Maybe its just me but I use the histogram + blinkies more than any metering mode to ensure I have all the data I need. I dont even look at the metering mode anymore
  9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have high lights and low lights enabled so I can see not just the exposure range is, but what areas fall into what ranges. Faster and more informative than multiple spot readings.
  10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What you demonstrate in the image can easily be replicated on current Olympus (and Panasonic cameras today).

Step 1: Enable average metering
    Step 2: Enable histogram
    Step 3: Use exposure compensation to adjust as needed

By following these steps, it would be very easy to replicate the same metering effect.
  11. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    I used to have a OM4 and what I loved the most of that camera was it's multi-spot metering system...
    Even though it can be replicated with newer cameras, the dedicated button was indeed a nice feature for us, old school photographers. :)
  12. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I miss multi spot from my OM-4t as well....makes you slow down and plan the exposure.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk
  13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I lived on Boston's North Shore for three years at the end of the 1990s. Fantastic place - I miss it every time I think of it!!