OM 180mm f2.8

sdsyver

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Shawn
Here are a few pictures with my new to me lens.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

sdsyver

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Shawn
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You are right about needing a flash but my nephew was enjoying the shade. The kid is always grinning. The bear was about 20m away up hill and the Jeep was in drive all set for an escape. It was hot that day and he was enjoying the breeze. We got about 20 pictures before he had enough and wandered off into the trees. This one is my favorite though.

mr_botak

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
David
I like number 2.

Often wondered about trying one of these, but seemed as though it would be a bit unweidly on the PEN.

I guess if I were to choose a lens to have bear chew on, this would be high on my list as a solid choice.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Those images do not look one bit soft to me.
But we don't know what they were shot at, do we?

Bright sunlight, ISO 200, 1/500th… I'm guessing it was stopped down to at least ƒ/5.6, it which point it cleans up nicely. Even ƒ/4 is an improvement over wide open.

I'll try to find some actual shots to post, but I don't use it often. It looks pretty on the shelf… :)

Real Name
Jan Steinman
I'll see if I can dig up some images later

(Does mu-43.com have a rotate function?)

I might have missed focus on this one, but I can't really identify anything close that is in focus…

This one is on a cheap focal reducer:

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
Nice color rendition. I think you're right about the focus on the third one. The fourth--think the focal length reducer softened it up?

I've started watching for one; there are only a couple on eBay, and they're a mite spendy.

Real Name
Jan Steinman
The fourth--think the focal length reducer softened it up?
Could be… I started out with a crappy one, then upgraded several times until I would up with the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra.

I'll follow up with some boring test/comparison images with various teleconverters and focal reducers.

they're a mite spendy
I paid US$400 for mine in 1998, and then discovered that it is "collectible," because the front ring says "M-System" instead of "OM-System!"
_A192213.JPG

It also has a "mark of the beast" serial number!

Last edited:
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Here's some boring test images. No attempt was made to equalize field-of-view; all were shot from a tripod at the same position. Lighting is from a Speedotron 4800 pack with two 102 heads.
_A233320.JPG

_A233319.JPG

_A233318.JPG

_A233317.JPG

_A233316.JPG

_A233315.JPG

_A233314.JPG

_A233313.JPG

_A233310.JPG

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Interesting that it's an early M system but it's not a silvernose. I seem to think that the 300mm f/4.5 was silvernose.

I've always wanted to try the f/2 but they're ridiculously rare.

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
My 300/4.5 is an MC version, and all black.

Thanks for the effort, Jan. Looks pretty sharp to me. The other take-home(s) to me are: 1) that the two OM teleconverters are pretty dadgum good. I have the 1.4. 2) The Metabones may just be worth the cost. The Kipon looks like it turns the result fairly soft.

Yeah, I suspect that the 180/2 is kind of a unicorn, like the Pentax M* 300/4, which I've never seen in the flesh...

Real Name
Jan Steinman
Interesting that it's an early M system but it's not a silvernose.
But it's not "an early M System" — it's an anomaly! The 180/2.8 wasn't designed and manufactured until years after Leica got Olympus to stop using the "M System" moniker!

I'm picturing some machine where some human types in what gets engraved on the ring, and they forgot the "O," and it still managed to get past quality control. But that's just a guess.

the two OM teleconverters are pretty dadgum good
On a good lens, sure! But keep in mind that they magnify defects, so they don't do much for lenses that aren't very good to start with, unlike focal reducers, which "push defects away," thus improving inferior lenses somewhat.

The Metabones may just be worth the cost. The Kipon looks like it turns the result fairly soft.
Since then, I've picked up the Viltrox, which adapts to Canon EF, but which can be simply (and cheaply) adapted to OM via a thin ring. So far, the Viltrox is closer to the Metabones than it is the Kipon, but with a cost about the same as the Kipon (~$120 street price). I don't use the Kipon any more, but keep the Viltrox and the Metabones on lenses!

Here's a couple more shots with the Metabones. There is considerable lateral chromatic aberration in out-of-focus areas, showing characteristic magenta fringing in front of the focal plane and green fringing behind. It seems to have rather pleasing bokeh, though.
_A094070.jpg
_A094067.jpg

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
I had been considering the Oly 180 and the Nikon 180. Actually found a decent deal on both! The Nikkor got here and had serious focusing issues and a damaged diaphragm, so back it went. I was loosely disappointed, because the reputation of that lens is pretty huge. But, I got out in the yard for a few minutes today, and am pretty impressed. I'm thinking I have this focal length covered! These aren't contest photos, but they're all pretty substantial crops. All at F8, processed from .ORF.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom