OM 10 Mk 3

Iain Byrne

New to Mu-43
Hi,
This is my first venture into micro 4/3 and after using DSLR for many years I now have an Olympus OM 10 Mk 3.

I am struggling with the silent shutter on this camera, I understand the theory behind it but how do I set it up and use it on the OM 10 mks?

Any guidance would be gratefully received, thanks Iain

I've had a few Olympus bodies in the past. The easiest way is to go into the super control panel and under drive mode settings, choose the drive mode with the heart. Sounds a bit silly but the drive modes with the heart are the silent shutter settings.

Below is a video that goes over the super control panel

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
If have never used an e-shutter, it is weird. Press the shutter and . . . nothing but silence.
It takes some getting used to.
Though you do have some visual feedback when the EVF blacks out, after a shot.

CAUTION, bug alert. Auto ISO does NOT work properly with the e-shutter.
The shutter speed will drop to a stupidly low shutter speed, before the auto ISO kicks in and starts to raise the ISO level.

mfturner

Mu-43 Rookie
With my m10.3 the silent mode can be found by rotating the mode dial to AP, and then select the heart icon in the touchscreen. While that sounds clumsy, I mostly use the AP only for silent shutter, so all I have to do is select AP with the mode dial to get into it. Your exposure and auto focus control is then somewhat limited, but you can still select focus areas with the touch screen, and control exposure with the top rotating dials.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Silent shutter is not the forte of the E-M10.3 ; it's a dedicated mode where all the parameters are baked in, unlike the other camera models where you can use the silent shutter in all PASM modes by selecting it in the drive section. They should have called it "P silent" or something to the same effect on the mk III. Anyway, happy shooting !

M.

mfturner

Mu-43 Rookie
Yes, silent mode isn't its strong point, but I'm happy to have it at all since my old DSLR system did not. My kid's choir concerts were where I really want this, I had to stick with photographs during applause with the old camera.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom