OM-1 travel flash

LarryL

Mu-43 Regular
Could someone recommend a good, reasonably priced flash that is also good for travel that will go well with the the OM-1? I have searched the threads and it is hard to zero in on anything.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Olympus' own FL-36 is a pretty capable, yet small(ish) flash that complements the cameras quite well. The FL-14 is also a reasonable flash (much smaller) but large lenses can cause cut-off. I should add, defining what sort of things you intend to use the flash for, will assist in informing what might suit. One person's idea of a travel flash might be something the size what comes standard with the E-M1, another's might be an FL-50R.

LarryL

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks, OzRay, Agreed on the need for more specifics. I would need the flash for indoor shooting of classroom activities, maybe some field work in tropical forest type settings but I do not want to go too big. I will check out the FL-36. I think the FL-14 might be a bit small due to the lens issue.

LarryL

Mu-43 Regular
Is the FL-36 or FL-40 compatible with the OM-1? I am having a hard time figuring out which flashes will work. I checked the Olympus site but they list only the the FL-14, 50, 300 and 600.

Joelmusicman

Mu-43 Regular
The important thing to note is that flashes without the "r" don't have remote slave capability. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably don't need it. :)

LarryL

Mu-43 Regular
I do, in fact, know and use it from time to time but do not do a lot of flash photography, something I'm working on. Thanks. I use an SB 800 with my Nikon gear.

The important thing to note is that flashes without the "r" don't have remote slave capability. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably don't need it. :)

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ummm... are we talking about an OM-D (EM-1, EM-5) or an OM-1 (Olympus film SLR)?

If an OM-D, what about the Oly FL-600R or its Panasonic clone, the FL360L (which is less expensive these days for some unknown reason)?

beanedsprout

Mu-43 Veteran
Hm, well for an OM-1 you have to do full manual because TTL hadn't been invented yet. Unless you're talking about the EM-1, which is an ENTIRELY different camera.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom