1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-1 travel flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LarryL, Mar 29, 2014.

1. LarryL

LarryL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    Could someone recommend a good, reasonably priced flash that is also good for travel that will go well with the the OM-1? I have searched the threads and it is hard to zero in on anything.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Olympus' own FL-36 is a pretty capable, yet small(ish) flash that complements the cameras quite well. The FL-14 is also a reasonable flash (much smaller) but large lenses can cause cut-off. I should add, defining what sort of things you intend to use the flash for, will assist in informing what might suit. One person's idea of a travel flash might be something the size what comes standard with the E-M1, another's might be an FL-50R.

3. LarryL

LarryL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks, OzRay, Agreed on the need for more specifics. I would need the flash for indoor shooting of classroom activities, maybe some field work in tropical forest type settings but I do not want to go too big. I will check out the FL-36. I think the FL-14 might be a bit small due to the lens issue.

4. LarryL

LarryL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    Is the FL-36 or FL-40 compatible with the OM-1? I am having a hard time figuring out which flashes will work. I checked the Olympus site but they list only the the FL-14, 50, 300 and 600.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have the FL-50r, older FL-50, FL-36 and FL-14 and all work with the E-M1 without any issues.

6. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    The important thing to note is that flashes without the "r" don't have remote slave capability. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably don't need it. :)

7. LarryL

LarryL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    I do, in fact, know and use it from time to time but do not do a lot of flash photography, something I'm working on. Thanks. I use an SB 800 with my Nikon gear.

8. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Ummm... are we talking about an OM-D (EM-1, EM-5) or an OM-1 (Olympus film SLR)?

If an OM-D, what about the Oly FL-600R or its Panasonic clone, the FL360L (which is less expensive these days for some unknown reason)?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I keep a FL-600R with my E-M5 and another with my E-M1 at all times. Remarkable for the size.

10. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Hm, well for an OM-1 you have to do full manual because TTL hadn't been invented yet. Unless you're talking about the EM-1, which is an ENTIRELY different camera.