1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-1 issues

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by silver92b, Dec 14, 2014.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I began to notice a while back that the rearmost dial of my EM-1 was not responding very well. I had it set up to dial in the f stop during shooting and zoom function during playback/review. First it seemed to be related to the switch on the battery holder/grip not being in the "lock" position, but then it got worse regardless of the switch position. I tried reassigning functions to the other dial, but it still seemed to respond sluggishly or not at all.

I ignored the problem for a few months but now I got scared and decided to send it back for repairs. Got the necessary papers, etc. But when I removed the strap, grip and battery holder, I tried again and the dial appears to work almost perfectly!? It might have missed a few clicks here and there, but it seemed to work pretty well... So I installed the battery holder/grip again and checked the dial function and it works just fine (well, almost, maybe 99.5%).

I wonder if I should send the battery holder/grip along with the camera and a note explaining the sudden, inexplicable remission of most of the symptoms? I'm concerned that although I had/have a real concern and experienced a real malfunction, the Olympus service people will just think it's OK and blow me off as a nut case... Anyway, I worry the camera might malfunction again, perhaps after the warranty expires... Any ideas?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    If you search here you will see others have reported problems with the dials, but I don't know if the grip is involved.

Barry

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It's a known problem, if you send it in with the warranty form filled in they will replace it without question.

I know this because I sent my grip and camera in (camera was fine, it had other unrelated problems. Grip dials were dead) and they replaced the dials on the body(by accident, they figured they were faulty as well and replaced them... didn't even test it to check) and gave me a completely new HLD-7 grip to boot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks, I did not know this was a know issue... Anyway, the problem does come and go and I imagine it will come back again. I will send it back along with the grip and a note explaining that although it might be fine for now, the problem appears and disappears and might be related to either or both units.

Thanks again for your help :thumbup:

5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    It's dirt that causing dials to skip. Can be fixed with 2-3 drops of 96% ethanol.

6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Even if that is the case how do we open the camera up to apply the alcohol? Have you done this?

Olympus always say they have replaced the parts.

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Just drop them between the dial and body.

8. hughden

hughden New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2010
    It's not dirt, it's a design fault.

My rear dial failed after two weeks. A year later it has failed again and I returned it to Olympus today where they again replaced the top panel. They advised me that the rear dial internals have now been redesigned to fix the problem. Many many people have had this issue.

9. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I would think that this might end up causing an issue... Although I'm a big fan of easy solutions I'd be afraid to try it. Although, being that the camera is weather sealed, it might be OK to try.

That's pretty awful to have the same failure twice... I did send it back to Olympus for repair under warranty. I sent the grip/battery holder along as well since there seemed to be a possible correlation. I hope they fix it soon so I might have it back to enjoy. I'm glad I did not sell the EM-5 so I still have a good M43 to play with until the EM-1 returns :wink:

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Or, possibly, it could damage the weather sealing...the camera costs too much. If mine develops the issue, it goes back to Oly pronto. ;)

11. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    ^^ agreed^^

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I don't usually buy extended guarantees, but when Oly had the extended warranty for the E-M1 on sale I went ahead. It was so cheap, and the camera is expensive enough, and there are enough issues, that it seemed like a decent purchase.