1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly's Date/Time Loss on Battery Removal and Cameta Refurbs

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twokatmew, Nov 20, 2012.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have an E-PM1 that I bought as a refurb in April from Cameta. It's been fine till I decided to sell it (of course). Now it loses the date & time when I swap the battery.

As it's still under Cameta's warranty, they're having me send it back. Now they're sending affected bodies to Olympus for repair rather than swapping out bodies, because so many bodies are affected. Supposedly my E-PM1 is going to get a whole new circuit board. Let's hope the replacement circuit boards have this defect corrected! :smile:

Anyway, just thought I'd post this info for those of you with affected E-PM1s, E-PL3s, etc. that are still under warranty from Cameta.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Hmm... My E-PM1 also has started to forget the date after battery charging so maybe I'll ask Olympus Finland about it as well. Thanks for the tip!

3. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    Mine just came back from Olympus.They replaced the main board and now it seems to remember the time and date. I did not test how long it will remember. I'll do tonight and let you know. It is suppose to remember 1 to 2 days.

btw, is it normal to have a loud grinding noise at the sensor when turning it off?

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I have known about the issue a long time ago, but didn't know they could fix it. Now, I need to go check if my E-PL3 is still under warranty!

Thanks for the heads-up!

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It was normal on full size FourThirds cameras when switching off the camera when you have IS on. I'm not that familiar with PENs so I can't confirm.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Did you have to send it to Cameta first or did you send it direct to Olympus?

7. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    I bought mine use but it was still under warranty. So i sent it back to olympus. I also bought a refurbish from cameta that I gave to my mom. It cannot remember the date for about 2 mins. But it didnt bother her. So i gave her extra battery to swap instantly. The one i sent to olympus, cannot remember at all.

I think cameta will replace the camera for you.

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I'm sending it to Cameta today, and they will send it to Olympus for repair under their account. When they get the camera back, Cameta will return it to me. Kind of a pain, but ... that Olympus will repair it at their factory makes a Cameta refurb just as good as a new Olympus, warranty-wise IMNSHO.

The CS rep said that Olympus used to supply them with a batch of refurbs they used to swap for defective refurbs customers returned ... but they found Olympus was supplying them with cameras that were supposedly fixed but had the same time/date loss problem. So they're sending individual cameras to Olympus for a circuit-board swap that's supposedly fixing the problem.

I was glad to hear this, because I sure didn't want to have to return the camera to Cameta only to get a different one with the same problem!

So far I'm pretty impressed with Cameta ... despite the long wait on the phone and slow shipping. :wink: Got my fingers crossed that Olympus' supply of replacement circuit-boards does't have the time/date problem ... or any other problem for that matter. :smile:

9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I would hope they'd fix it even out of warranty, as this is a well-known, wide-spread problem. And I hear Olympus support is quite good. Let's hope that's the case. :smile:

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    When I first got this camera, it instantly lost the date. But after I charged up the battery and updated the firmware to 1.3, the cam remembered date/time just fine. I've only had the camera for eight months, but it sat idle for several months after I got my E-M5. I was pretty shocked when I pulled the battery and the E-PM1 instantly lost the date/time yesterday.

11. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    Try put a fully charge battery and let it sit there for a day. I guess the battery will charge the circuit board battery to remember the time and date. If that doesn't work, then its defective. You need to send it in.

12. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    Ok. So after 24 hours without battery. My epm1 still remember the time and date. I'll try it for 2 days and find out.

13. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Cameras with date-time features have a small battery in them to maintain the time. With some older cameras, it is necessary to replace this battery periodically; usually it's a button battery. Newer cameras have rechargeable batteries which are kept charged by the main battery; these can run down if the main battery is removed for an extended period of time or if they became defective. It sounds like the problem here is a defective time battery. This is a factory repair, as the batteries are usually soldered in or a part of an IC. Sometimes I long for some of the older, user-repairable designs.

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Sometimes I long for that, too, Mogul! My E-PM1 is off to Cameta. I shouldn't say this, but I've never had this happen to a camera before.

15. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Europe
    I just had my refurbished E-PL3 forget the time and date for the first time a few weekends ago. I was outside changing batteries and it was about -1C (though the fresh battery had been sitting in an inner pocket close to the body). Hasn't happened again since then (the weather has been warmer too). It is still under warranty, but I'd have to send it outside my country for service, so if it happens again as it starts to get colder, I'll probably just live with it.

16. dimitri88

dimitri88 New to Mu-43

Nov 22, 2012
    Hi twokatmew,

Can I know the details of your camera? What's the brand of your camera, model etc

17. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    Im happy to report that after 3 days, the time and date still works.

18. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Had this issue with a Canon G11. It sure is frustrating. Finally resolved by the dealer, with no explanation. Internet Rumours was a failed capacitor in the camera board.
    Dave

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    My E-PM1 arrived via FedEx tonight, all fixed. It was set to Japanese, so I felt a bit discombobulated till I managed to set it to English. Not bad turnaround time at all. I'm pretty impressed. :2thumbs: