Olymus EPL2 - unsung hero of MFT World :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi guys :smile:
    I was just scrolling through camera camera and looking at those refurb prices for different MFT bodies . All PEN refurb prices crashed by a quite margin but EPL2 is still sitting there with a tag of USD 299 with kit lens . I paused for a moment and thought why so? you can even pick up newer EPM1 for USD 279 with kit lens . I thought EPL2 have many plus points IMHO..
    - Great sturdy body with a beautiful grip which fits ur hands nicely
    -Inbuilt flash which comes handy
    - UI typically Oly but a bit different from current PENLline
    - Almost identical IQ from current PEN series except OMD
    I think Olympus should have retained this shape for EPL3 and added title LCD on EPL2 .
    I have two EPL2 bodies and I recently purchased EPM1 but thinking of selling it soon as I dont see any major reason for keeping it .
    In nut shell OLY EPL2 is my PEN of choice the moment . I just love it .
    Let me see if we have some more EPL2 lovers ..:2thumbs::2thumbs:
  2. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    a-ha!! kindred spirit!! :biggrin:

i love my e-pl2 and always take it with me when i go to central london... also when i take a walk to richmond park to take pics of the deer and flowers with my friends who are also into amateur photography...

i'm actually toying with the idea of delving into some wedding photography in the near future as a sideline and thus in the process of researching how adequate my little mu43 camera would be based on other owners' experience... and based on what i read, am quite apprehensive about the iso capabilities of my e-pl2...

but at the mo, i'll try supplementing with fast lenses and practice with my technique... who knows?

i'm thinking of buying a g3 as the price has really gone down (£329 or so-- body only) plus it has an articulated screen and a built-in vf, but i really like the feel of my e-pl2 i might just buy another one, lolz!!

i might get that g3 in the end as second body or even a gx1 in view of their better iso (as far as i can gather from other posters) or is e-pl3's iso adequate enough? my idea is to have three bodies with different lenses attached... might end up with another e-pl2 plus either gx1 or e-pl3... (i want also to have the em5 but that would be in the distant future after i've saved enough... like two g3s is still cheaper...:eek:)

i love my e-pl2... i would never, ever want to replace it... (hope i didn't hijack the thread, lolz... :blush:
  3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
  4. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I feel a bit betrayed by the EPL-2, because it comes not long after I purchase my EPL-1. Tough after I found the problem with red dot flare in EPL-2, I'm glad I bought the EPL-1 and not EPL-2.

But problem aside I still recommend it if someone want to choose it as a first try to m4/3. Last I hear news about EPL-2 is when Olympus launch EP-3. It said that they're going to discontinued the EPL-2 but keep selling EPL-1. Guess the news is not right or Olympus still have plenty unsold EPL stock. The only PEN camera that Olympus discontinued is EP-1. Unlike Panasonic that always discontinuing it's old G series whenever new G series being launch.

I recommend EPL-2 higher than EPL-3 for it's ergonomic feature.
  5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I've had E-PL2 for over a year but prefer E-PM1 much more. I get much better results from E-PM1: better color (amazing AWB), better sharpness (much faster and more precise AF) maybe due to new image processor, much better face/eye detect, better built quality (almost all metal), useful 5.5 fps burst mode, LCD even though smaller but better quality, digital teleconverter, noticeably smaller and lighter body. Also, I was quite a bit affected by E-PL2 red dot, it was simply awful with Rokinon fisheye at all apertures (I like to shoot sunsets). I liked E-PL2 for built-in tiltable flash (really useful), nice grip and better IBIS. That's about it. I have to say there is some adjustment period to E-PM1 mostly due to the absence of a mode dial and Fn button. I did own G3 at one point along with E-PL2. I prefer E-PL2 by a mile due to better metering, color rendition, WB, grip, jpeg processing, 1/320s manual flash sync, wireless flash capabilities, tiltable built-in flash, IBIS. Combination of those things (for those who use them) impact both raw and jpeg quality far more than any marginal improvements in m43 sensor technology.
  6. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Purchased my epl-2 about 1.5 years ago and love the darn little thing. I use it for everything, even as a backup for a few weddings. It has been on multi day backpacking trips and just keeps producing great photos. Just had a 16x24 canvas print done and was wow'ed out of my pants.

For awhile had thoughts of selling it but the thing is so handy. Mind you I have no experience with anyother m4/3rds cameras. I do have the evf-2 on it with the kit lens but looking for nice fast prime, maybe the 12 if it comes down in price but thinking the pannasonic 14 as I like the wide.

Loving the pl-2!!

7. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    I'm a happy ep-l2 user from previous pl1. Enjoy the bigger screen, higher than resolution, smoother shutter, and dt and of course the most comfy grip
  8. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I briefly owned the E-PL2 for a week. Having enjoyed my first m4/3 camera so much (the mighty GX-1), I thought I'd buy a secondary body. The E-PM1 was really dumbed down as far as controls go, and I was underwhelmed with the older 12MP (still unchanged in the current Pens). Back the Mini went, and I found an insane deal on a pre owned PL2. Snatched it. I have high design and build expectations coming from the GX-1, but the E-PL1 didn't disappoint in this department.
    However, it was a downgrade in performance, and output. AF was nowhere near that of the Panny, and DR and ISO couldn't compete either. Nice Oly colors (I'm a jpg shooter). And nice "character" to the pictures to. But the AF, ergonomics, UI weren't up to my needs, so I sold it back (within one hour of listing it, too).
    It certainly did give me a few keepers in that very short period of time, and a limited number of frames. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't had the GX-1 first, and I certainly can understand one could be very fond of it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I have an E-PL1 and an E-PL2, each with their own VF-2 (the only way I can actually see what I'm shooting), and like them both very much. The E-PL2 has a few advantages on the spec sheet, but in my use there's really no noticeable difference.

For example, after initially liking the idea, I actually found the exposure comp wheel annoying because it was constantly getting turned by accident. I eventually realized I was going back to the E-PL1 more and more often, so finally just disabled it. Now I'm back to using them both about equally.
  10. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012

nice shots!! i like the bird especially...

too bad you had the gx1 first...

it's good for me that i got the e-pl2 first... then getting a gx1 or g3 as second body will really be an upgrade...:smile:
  11. marygoround

marygoround Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    I love my e-pl2, it is my first ever m4/3 camera, before I acquired it I was contemplating whether e-pm1 or e-pl2, but I went for e-pl2. It fits just perfect in my hands, no chance to slip. Mine is silver. And if I'll buy second body, I am eyeing e-p3 or G3. Got to have that solid grip. :)
  12. rameshsa

rameshsa Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2012
    After going through this thread and that epl2 body was available through Amazon for usd 249 I have ordered the same as a backup when ii need to use it or else it will be used by daughter. A built I. Flash was essential for use by my family.