1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus Zuiko 90-400mm (non-PRO, rumored) lens

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by ibd, Apr 21, 2019.

1. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 5, 2016
    Looking at the Olympus lens road map, we see a consumer tele zoom with focal length at about 90-400mm. The boundaries on the picture are a bit blurry, so the exact focal length range is not known.
    • Do we know if the lens roadmap is for 2019? If not, what's the time frame of the road map? When could we expect an announcement or more rumors for this lens?
    • It being a non-PRO lens, how would it be differentiated from the existing 75-300mm ii? Just add 100mm at the long end to make 400mm? Weather sealing? Sync IS?
    • What are your expectations?
    • Anything else that is known about it at this point?
    I couldn't find another thread for this lens which I find quite exciting. I hope it will be more compact than the Pana-Leica offering, and I wouldn't mind a slower aperture. This is a non-PRO lens afterall!

olympus_lens_roadmap.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Hehe I wonder what the total number of hours spent poring over that chart are worldwide? A good few, I imagine! :) 

My guess for the vague orange stripe you mention is a more budget-conscious alternative to the Pany 100-400, less the expensive branding, and the metal construction, and maybe the OIS. Olympus has yet to put IS in a cheaper lens, so this would be a first for them if they were to include it. But 400mm without OIS these days might attract criticism I guess.

I did read some Olympus patents a while back, describing a range of long lenses of various specs, all sharing a common iris and focusing unit, with a view to making their production more cost-effective. I can't remember whether or not OIS was also part of the module. I suppose the plethora of new tele zooms on the roadmap might suggest that Olympus is in fact putting those patents into practice.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. I actually think they'll put OIS in to offset a slower aperture to keep size and weight down. A 90-380mm f/4.8-7.1? Personally I wouldn't mind them shrinking the short end in order to make the long end better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Personally I'm MUCH more interested in the two Pro telephotos.

For the consumer lens I think it would make more sense for it to start around 150mm, that way it would pair with either the 14-150 of 12-200. Sure starting at 90mm means you could also pair it with the 12-100, but the shorter range should mean it might be faster on the long end.

5. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 5, 2016
    Any idea how much longer we might possibly have to wait? Are these road maps done for the next year? Two years?

6. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    If only Oly would resurrect their "Premium" class with all metal, weather sealed versions of their 1.8 primes. Include the old style diamond knurling and the manual focus clutch. That would compete nicely with Fuji's primes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    I admit to having a weakness for a nice bit of diamond knurling too. :) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    That would be cool. Because the logistics of LONG lenses is where m4/3 trumps the larger formats.
    Can you imagine the size and weight of a 200-800 FF lens. :eek: 

hmmmm
    I notice in the pro section
    • There are TWO "Telephoto Zoom Lens" bars, in the 50-250mm range. The lower one further to the right than the top. hmmmm
      • Maybe a 50-200/2.8 with Sync-IS, to replace the 40-150/2.8.
      • A 50-200 f/2 would be a nice (but big and heavy) low light lens :) 
    • A "Standard Zoom Lens." They have the 12-40/2.8, so I wonder what it might be?
      • Maybe a FAST 12-40/1.8 :) 
      • Or a 12-50/2.8 to match a new 50-200/2.8.
    • A "Wide Zoom Lens." But the 7-14 and 12-40 already overlap. :confused: 
    The roadmap has a rather obvious gap in the non-pro long tele primes.
    • A 200/4, followed a couple/few years later with a 400/8 would be a nice fit, at a lower cost than a LONG zoom.
    • It would be nice if Olympus brought back the 500/8 mirror in an AF lens, then follow with a 1000/11 a couple/few years later.
      • Even with the smaller m4/3 lens size, a mirror makes it even smaller, and makes logistics easier.
      • I suspect internal focusing will be the nut to crack. But Minolta did it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Seriously if this pro-sumer lens doesn't at least equal the PL in range and aperture it's dead in the water. 7.1 would be derided near universally as too slow and for a change i'd agree. After a couple of years shooting the PL100-400 the 6.3 at the long end becomes marginal as light drops off. Even if all Oly did was equal the PL in reach and aperture i would swap instantly just so i got the same zoom ring direction as my 40-150Pro
    Mind you i'm one of those that in the unlikely event the new 150-400F4.5 fits inside the credit card limit it will find a home in the camera bag :) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    But at what point of reducing the aperture, will AF become too difficult for the camera? I don't know.
    Otherwise it will be a SUNNY day only lens.

11. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I hope they start this one at 100 not 150 like the pro one. 100-400 is a nice sweat spot for what I do.

12. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    While we're talking about gaps- I'm kind of surprised that Oly has never resurrected the 35-100. The 4/3 boat anchor version is one of my most used lenses- the 45 and 75 rarely leave my lens cabinet anymore. They've shown no fear about competing head to head with Panasonic on focal lengths, and I'd sacrifice f2 (within reason) if it got me near-macro close focusing ability and saved me a few ounces in the bargain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I happen to agree - I picked the 100-300 II over the 75-300 due to the f/5.6 versus f/6.7 at the long end, and even then it's pretty marginal.

Given that their Pro prime only goes to 420mm f/5.6 with TC, however, I'm not holding my breath that a consumer zoom is going to be all that fast. Keep in mind that the 100-400 has a Leica badge - Panasonic's equivalent positioning for the Pro range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I wish it had the same "pro" feel... the zoom action is still stiff after all this time, I'd swap it out in an instant for an equivalent Oly option which i'm sure will be as smooth as a a hot knife in butter. 90-400, 100-400, either will be fine, an 80-400 would be a 5x zoom, interesting and doable in a consumer zoom just keep the long end at F6.3

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 31, 2013
    The problem with a f/8 is you'll be staring through a pretty dark lens (difficult to AF) and Micro Four Thirds tends to be have peak performance for the slowest aperture on a lens at f/4-6.3-ish in regards to diffraction as a limiter. Maybe keeping it closer to f/6.3-6.7 might be more reasonable. At 20mp and up it tends to hurt lenses that start slow.

Regardless: I would imagine that something like that would be wonderful if you wanted a pocket cannon option and don't mind ringy bokeh. Tokina made a nice 300mm f/6.3 that isn't autofocus:
    Tokina_300mmMirrorlens.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Slap autofocus into that and bump the price a bit and I'd consider one of those... 300mm, in that? You're playing jokes with me right? 600mm of reach!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

I would like the 150-400 pro when it turns up next year but I keep seeing the price of $7500 aud spring into my mind.
    A cheaper alternative lens giving at least 400 mm and with decent image quality would be nice.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    My gut says the the 150-400Pro zoom will be 2x to 2.5x the price of the 300F4 prime, that way it doesn't eat any sales of the prime.
    Oly AU list it at AU3900 putting the 150-400Pro at AU7800 to AU9700,
    street prices AU3000 avg so AU6000 to AU7500

mmmm maybe AU7500 is close, hope it's cheaper but not going to hold my breath
    The PL100-400 is current around AU1800, i'd comfortable pay 3x that for the Oly 150-400

18. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I have a Sigma 600mm cat lens for my Pentax, plus an m43 adapter. Not a great combo. It has advantages of being quite small and light, but the results have not been great.

19. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 5, 2016
    If only our cameras had that 6th axis of stabilization, they could AF on non-AF lenses! ;) 

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    And here I just want a really good option that tops out around 450-500mm eq and doesn't cost almost $2k. I've considered the PL50-200, but I've read mixed reviews of it with a TC and since you still can't buy the 1.4 TC, it hardly matters.

Based on that road map they've merged the Consumer and Premium lines. That class now includes weather sealed zooms and "Premium" primes. So there's still hope for sealed primes, and Fuji sure has shown there is a market for them with their f/2 WR series.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.