1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Zuiko 35mm F3.5 Macro Lens on an EPL-5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bobs1444, Jul 27, 2013.

1. bobs1444

bobs1444 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Red Deer Alberta
    I would like to try some Macro photography.
    Not a Native lens BUT
    So does any one have any luck with the 35mm F3.5 Macro Lens
    on a m43 ? I have an adapter
    Are there any other LOW cost alternatives ?

Thank you

2. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    If you are referring to the Zuiko 50mm F3.5 macro then yes I have used it with good success. You will need both the MF-1 OM adapter and either the MMF-1, 2 , or 3 adapter to get it to work on your EPL-5. Shooting is a little bit of trial and error and you'll have to stop down using the aperture ring. That said you can get some pretty good results. Here's are a couple I took using my EP-1 to give you an idea. I used to have an EM-5 but it rode off in a NY taxi. Anyway, it was easier with that camera as you could frame using the EVF and preview the image stabilized view as well.

3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Sharp lens, works fine with the MMF-1/2/3. Only issue is very slow AF, but MF is usually better for macro anyway, and pretty short working distance.

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    For manual focusing, I'd suggest going with a purely mechanical lens. The ZD 35/3.5 is decent, but the focus by wire can make things difficult. You can forget about using AF on the 35/3.5, it's simply far too slow and inaccurate.

For $50-75, you can easily find a 55/3.5 macro + adapter on eBay. I've used the Nikkor 55/3.5 micro myself, but there are plenty others.

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I got the Zuiko 35mm f3.5 macro for $159 from cameta.com because I already had an adapter. It can take up to 5 seconds to macro focus if it gets into hunt mode, which happens about half the time. I have tried manual focus, but it seems like I'm turning the barrel forever, so it's only used in AF mode. And half the time it locks in after 1-2 seconds, and I find it accurate.

On my 4/3 DSLR, it focuses much faster, less than a second if it decides to focus, but sometimes it will not do anything.

I bought it mainly to copy slides. In hindsight, maybe I could have found a legacy macro lens for around $50. However, when used in non-macro mode, this 35mm 4/3 lens is sharper than any legacy 35mm lens I own, and also better than my Oly 14-42 and 14-42 Mk II at 35mm.