Olympus Zuiko 35mm F3.5 Macro Lens on an EPL-5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bobs1444, Jul 27, 2013.

1. bobs1444

bobs1444 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Red Deer Alberta
    I would like to try some Macro photography.
    Not a Native lens BUT
    So does any one have any luck with the 35mm F3.5 Macro Lens
    on a m43 ? I have an adapter
    Are there any other LOW cost alternatives ?

Thank you

2. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    If you are referring to the Zuiko 50mm F3.5 macro then yes I have used it with good success. You will need both the MF-1 OM adapter and either the MMF-1, 2 , or 3 adapter to get it to work on your EPL-5. Shooting is a little bit of trial and error and you'll have to stop down using the aperture ring. That said you can get some pretty good results. Here's are a couple I took using my EP-1 to give you an idea. I used to have an EM-5 but it rode off in a NY taxi. Anyway, it was easier with that camera as you could frame using the EVF and preview the image stabilized view as well.

3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Sharp lens, works fine with the MMF-1/2/3. Only issue is very slow AF, but MF is usually better for macro anyway, and pretty short working distance.

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    For manual focusing, I'd suggest going with a purely mechanical lens. The ZD 35/3.5 is decent, but the focus by wire can make things difficult. You can forget about using AF on the 35/3.5, it's simply far too slow and inaccurate.

For $50-75, you can easily find a 55/3.5 macro + adapter on eBay. I've used the Nikkor 55/3.5 micro myself, but there are plenty others.

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I got the Zuiko 35mm f3.5 macro for $159 from cameta.com because I already had an adapter. It can take up to 5 seconds to macro focus if it gets into hunt mode, which happens about half the time. I have tried manual focus, but it seems like I'm turning the barrel forever, so it's only used in AF mode. And half the time it locks in after 1-2 seconds, and I find it accurate.

On my 4/3 DSLR, it focuses much faster, less than a second if it decides to focus, but sometimes it will not do anything.

I bought it mainly to copy slides. In hindsight, maybe I could have found a legacy macro lens for around $50. However, when used in non-macro mode, this 35mm 4/3 lens is sharper than any legacy 35mm lens I own, and also better than my Oly 14-42 and 14-42 Mk II at 35mm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.