Olympus Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 macro on GF1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mike r, Sep 25, 2010.

1. mike r

mike r New to Mu-43

Sep 6, 2010
    By all accounts a reasonably good lens, and I need an affordable macro and you can get this for £120-130 used on ebay or new for £190 ish. How would it work on a GF1 with a 4/3 to M 4/3 adaptor? I don't mind manual focus so thats not a problem?? Any ideas I want to proceed with a purchase of a un-used one on Ebay for £120....

2. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I don't know, but I have a G1 and am also considering this lens. Please post your findings if you take the plunge.

Lee

3. zuiko

zuiko Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2010
    Is there any advantage of going with a 4/3 lens instead of an OM lens? The OM would probably be cheaper and if you are manually focusing anyway. I had a 50mm f/3.5 macro which was a nice lens but unfortunately I sold it (along with a bunch of other OM gear) when I went digital.

4. tamrong

tamrong Mu-43 Regular

Jul 17, 2010
    chiangmai, thailand
    it's good lens, great value, good color + contrast and very sharp, good DOF too

but it's really slow AF on EPL1 , keep going back and forth

and when you use manaul focus, Please note that it's focus by wire, so , it's like eating hamburger with a chop sticks, pain ..

cheers,

5. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Is focus by wire different between Panasonic and Olympus? I may be asking for it, but I kinda like it on my G1. It took a bit to adjust to, but I like the "twist slow for fine / fast for big adjustment" arrangement. The lack of stops is a bit disorienting; I wish they would light an indicator on the screen to tell me when I am at an extreme.

Lee

6. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have the Olympus 35mm macro, and it's actually the reason I bought the 4/3 to m 4/3 adapter. It works well but the AF is kind of slow on my Pen E-P1. Manual focusing works fine on the G1. As an image sample, this was shot with a G1 on a tripod using the Olympus 35mm macro.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Conqueror

Conqueror Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Hi which adapter are you using ccuningham?

Ive got a G1 and this looks like an interesting combo

8. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have the Olympus MMF-2, I think it works well. Obviously the Olympus 35mm Macro doesn't AF on the G1, but it's nice to have the different exposure modes available, and not have to deal with manual aperture control. If you don't mind the size too much, this adapter works well on the G1 + 9-18 FT zoom, and while I haven't tried it yet, I suspect it would work well with the 40-150 FT zoom. Before I got my 20mm, I used this adapter with an Oly 25mm FT pancake, and it worked well.

P.S.: As far as I know, the Panasonic and Olympus adapters are pretty much the same. I got the Olympus adapter because it was $20 US cheaper.

Hope this helps.

P.P.S.:
    I just checked and Amazon has the Panasonic Adapter DMW-MA1 for $105 here in the U.S.A. I'm not sure if this holds for Amazon in other economic areas of the world, but if you were looking to get an adapter fairly cheap, this isn't too bad a deal.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hang on a minute! :eek:
    You can get great manual lenses of that general type for tiny money and a £15 adapter.
    Don't throw cash away if you're not buying specifically for the autofocus.

• Like Like x 2