Olympus Zuiko 14-54 mmII-some thoughts and images :)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bhupinder2002, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys ..
    I was bent upon on getting Olympus Zuiko 14-54 mm II after reading a lot about it.I pulled the trigger two weeks ago and got it but never had a chance to test it. Today I left every prime at home and headed towards the city with this lens and Olympus 40-150. I didnt use 40-150 too much but I am impressed with Zuiko 14-54 mm II.
    IMHO -
    Main Pros-
    1) fast as compated to kit lens and 2.8-3.5 comes handy
    2) Built like a tank - I am impressed with its built quality and its WR
    3) Exellent macro capability- This lens can work as 1:2 macro and can focus really close
    4) Decent sharp pics and better than Olympus kit lens I had .
    5) Very much walk around zoom range and very good for video
    6)Acceptable low light performance if you are on a budget or dont want to spend a fortune on Primes .
    7) Very good cheap alternative to Panasonic 12-35 mm 2.8 if...see in Cons for detailed about IF.:wink:

Now Major cons
    1) Quite heavy and big , Now imagine this lens on OMD with full grip= serious looking camera and heavy - I dont like that
    2) Quite slow in focusing . AF is a miss sometimes and you will notice once u have uploaded pics .
    3) Noisy focus in video mode
    4) Accepts 67 mm filter so in case you have some filters -they wont fit on it .
    Now Billion dollar question - Am I happy with this purchase ?
    yes I happy but I have Olympus 12 mm F2, Panasonic 20 mm 1.7 , PL25 1.4 , Olympus 45 mm , Olympus 40-140 and I am gonna pick up 75 mm 1.8 soon . Its very difficult for me to justify this purchase. Moreover I dont like to keep more than 4 lenses at a time . So will I keep only for next few days to play with it and will sell it as I wont use it too much mainly its too heavy and big .I am settling on 12 mm F2, 25 mm , 45 mm and 75 mm 1.8
    Cheer
    Bhupinder
    Now here are some pics I took today with OMD+14-54 mm 2.8-3.5 II

1- NEX 7 Shooter shot with OMD :wink:
    PB050061.

2- Super heroes and a heroine pose for OMD :2thumbs:
    PB050100.

3- Lost in her own world..
    PB050080.

4- Let me read first and I will tell u how to clean the lens:wink:
    PB050102.

5- Retired and tired friends ..:smile:
    PB050047.

6- :confused: but colorful Tourists..:rofl:
    PB050094.

• Like Like x 7
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Pretty much spot on with your assessment, but I am keeping mine, and using it more and more often in situations when I just want to carry my camera without any bag or extra lenses... I find that focus is much more accurate if I switch off face detection and use the smallest focus box...

BTW, that is the latest NEX-6 that the gentleman is using in your first photo!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Thanks Pat for correcting me. I didnt notice ..Sony + EVF+ NEX7 , I forgot about NEX6 but he looks very cute with this camera. Now I am also double minded about keeping 14-54mmII. It comes handy on a rainy day and its heaps better than any kit lens expect Panasonic 14-45 mm which I heard is very good . I am gonna shoot with this for next few days and see .Thanks for your input .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I am desperate for a native version of the 14-54 or 12-60. Imo these optics are head and shoulders above what is available for any system, in both quality and practicality. The overpriced 12-35 is too short of a lens, isn't even constant aperture, and apparently has CA issues.

In the meantime I keep using the 14-54 II whenever I can cope with the focus speed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    I traded my 12mm f2.0 for a 12-60 + adapter a couple of weeks ago, and am really enjoying it. It's definitely not a light carry lens, but if I'm shooting during the day I can leave most of the rest of my kit at home, so on balance it works out well.

The focus is a bit slower than I'm used to--but as hkpzee says, not bad at all if I turn off face detection and use a single focus point.

Anyway, that's the bad stuff: the good is the super useful range, the close focusing, the excellent images, and the weathersealing. (But I really need the MMF-3 to take advantage of that...)

6. Bhupinder2002

Hi Promit.. I totally agree with you and expect Olympus to give us something like this . This lens is definatley a very fine piece of optics and I also find Panasonic 12-35 mm a bit too small for anybody's needs. Even stand kit zoom lenses are in 14-42 or 14-45 mm range which is still better . I am not criticising that lens but it has a hefty price tag IMHO. You can easily pick up this lens for around USD400 .If you can cope with slightly slow AF and weight . The more I use , more I like this lens. LAst night I was just mucking around and shooting videos in low light and they were fantastic . Manual focusing is fun on this lens . I would highly recommend it to anyone if you want to save some money and yet have a high class lens in ur bag .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  7. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I actually just ordered the 14-54 II today for use on the EM-5. The photos you posted are quite sharp, and really what I would like out of a zoom with a range such as this one. I hope to have it in a week or so.

8. Bhupinder2002

Thanks for having a look at my pics. I am keeping this lens as a general walk around lens.The more I use it , more I am liking it.
    Cheers
    BHUPINDER

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hayden

Hayden New to Mu-43

Nov 15, 2012
    Utah
    Thanks for the post, very informative. I have decided on purchasing an OMD and coming from Canon I can see the lack of a fast zoom. I was interested in this combination but haven't found much on it online.

Is there any chance you could post some photos of the lens on the camera? I am curious to see actually how large it is mounted.

Also - Which Adapter does the community recommend? The panasonic is cheeper but the Oly is weather sealed. Is it worth the extra $?

Has the slow auto focus bothered you? I am going on a religious Mission for 2 years and i am having to find a smaller camera solution to bring along. Decided on m4/3 because of the lack of Nex Lens selections. I think i plan to purchase the Oly 45mm 1.8 as my second lens. Any other suggestions?

Thanks Again for the post. Very Helpful!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bhupinder2002

Thanks for you kind words.
    1) Adaptor- I would recommend Olympus MMF3 as its weathersealed and black looks nice
    2) AF - its slow but doesnt seem to bother me . I am able shoot comfortably . I am not shooting sports so its okay.
    3)I love OLy 45 mm 1.8 and have shot extensively with it but - first time i am asking some one not to buy one - Get new Oly 17 mm 1.8 instead as its much more useful FL.
    4) I would recommend only this lens and OLy 17 mm 1.8 or Panasonic 20 mm 1.7 for your travel . I am currently in Mauritius and brought 12 mm , 20 mm, 25 mm , 45 mm and 40-150 and believe me its only 14-54mm II which I love and like to carry around .Its a very versatile lens and very good for video but use MF .
    5 ) Finally -
    Here is an image on my OMD and some more images
    [​IMG] PB150419. PB150424. PB155302.JPG

11. Bhupinder2002

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Glad to see you are putting the lens in good use! :thumbup:

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    100% agree. The 12-60 was and is a gem, AF and size aside.

Then there's also the price. It would cost me around 3x as much to get even close to equal optical performance with native lenses.

The 14-54II is no slouch either.

14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I love the optical quality and zoom range of the ZD 12-60, but I picked the 14-54II over the 12-60 for use with my m4/3 cameras primarily for the following reasons:
    - aperture range of f/2.8-3.5 rather than f/2.8-4.0. The aperture also doesn't choke down as quickly as the 12-60;
    - faster AF on m4/3 cameras (although I haven't done any side-by-side comparison);
    - much cheaper price;
    - lighter weight;
    - although not as good as the 12-60, but still better optical performance than any of the native kit zoom.

15. allan

allan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2009
    Sorry to ask, but what do you mean the 12-35 isn't even constant aperture? I thought it was a constant f2.8 throughout the range. :confused:

16. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Bhupuinder,

Thanks for your wonderful photographs. That lens still looks appealing. However, the one I ordered back in November ultimately was out of stock with no definite delivery date, so I never got the 14-54 II. In the meantime, Black Friday occurred and I invested in a Pentax K-5IIs and a few basic used lenses rather than beefing up the EM-5 with more lenses. I will have to see whether I spend more on the Pentax, or decide to just stick with m4/3 and look again at the 14-54 II.

17. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Yes, it is a constant f/2.8.

18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    There are reports that the aperture fluctuates as you zoom in and out, which is what is meant by the aperture not staying constant, so at any single focus length, the aperture is supposed to be f/2.8, but in reality, there is slight fluctuation when focal length is changed. This could be an issue for video, but not for still photos... I personally has not noticed such issue even when taking video with the 12-35/2.8 lens...

19. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The physical aperture size apparently does not stay constant in the 12-35, but moves in discrete steps so that the aperture is 'approximately' f/2.8 wide open throughout the range. I don't know how much the actual fluctuation is, but it's enough that some of the video people are complaining that the exposure doesn't stay fixed under zooming.

No personal experience though. There are too many caveats on that lens for me to pay what they're asking.

20. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That's a much clearer explanation than mine! :wink: