Olympus Zuiko 14-54 II on OM-D: Impressions thread

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by labcoatguy, Jun 27, 2012.

1. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I recently snagged a silver OM-D kit with the MMF-3, and also picked up a 4/3 14-54 II CDAF-enabled zoom lens to see if it can replace the rather underwhelming 12-50 kit lens. My first impressions are as follows:

-AF speed isn't noticeably faster than on my old E-P2.
    -It is bulky enough to cast large shadows when using the clip-on flash at full wide, and also gets in the way of the AF assist light, which could be a problem with other large zooms as well.
    -The wider aperture makes a huge difference in low light.

I intend to keep both it and the kit lens for a while to see which one's foibles are least annoying. Might even post some pictures :wink:.
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for sharing your findings. I can't say I found the 14-54II on the E-P2 usable in terms of AF. If it's the same speed on the E-M5, that's quite discouraging.

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I kept my 14-54 II for night duties when I just want to carry one lens and a flash. Since my flash is a Metz 58, I don't have any issue with the lens blocking light from the flash, but blocking the AF assist light might have been an issue. I like the quality of the lens and the relatively fast aperture, but there is one really annoying quirk, which is the AF tends to miss focus when light is dim. Focus is close enough that I don't see it on the LCD display, but when I review the images on my desktop, focus is just off in some of the images, which sucks... Like you, I am keeping it for now to see if it is worth keeping due to the pretty good image quality and fast aperture...
  4. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    See #3.
    Not sure how much this really means if there aren't many votes, but it seems like there are plenty of people interested in this combo. I'm heading to Boston's 4th of July fireworks tomorrow to see what it's like in that setting, where I'd just fix the focus at near infinity and leave it there.
  5. Kismet

Kismet New to Mu-43

Hmm. I am surprised to hear the less-than stellar comments! Granted, I don't use mine in low light much and I've only used it on the EM-5, so can't compare to any other camera body...but I am quite pleased with its performance. I think the image quality is really good and the AF is fast enough for me, very usable, though slower than the native lenses- especially the 9-18 and the 45...It is certainly worlds faster than the 50mm FT macro any of the other FT lenses I have.
  6. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    After spending some time with the lens, especially getting used to the manual focus, I'm starting to warm to it. AF speed is its only weakness, and it certainly isn't everything.

All but the first of these photos were manually focused.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    After another two months, I'm interested in your opinions about the 14-54 II and its relative use and/or performance to the 12-50 kit lens.